The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new lights. I don't have any corals yet. Do I need to run the MH's yet? How long should I run the PC's?

Right now I have the MH's set for 2-8PM, and the dual actinics set for 11AM-11PM.

This is the light unit...
48" Outer Orbit 2x150W 10K HQI-MH, 2x130W Dual Actinic, & 6 Lunar Lights. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01042

Dave

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
what else is in the tank? are all the other lights arctinic?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 Percula Clown
2 Peppermint Shrimp
6 Mexican Turbo Snails
2 Torchus Snails

Besides the MH's - All I have is...

2 x 130W Dual Actinic SunPaqs
Enhancing the 10,000K Daylight are the revolutionary Dual Actinic Lamps providing both 460nm and 420nm Actinic in one lamp. Emitting the necessary energy for activating photosynthesis in chlorophyll A and C, the Dual Actinic provides the most complete actinic lighting spectrum available.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7100k or 460nm blue bulbs help to “wash out” the yellowing of the 6700k or 10000k bulbs and can make the tank more appealing to look at. It tends to be a very bright blue bulb compared to an Actinic 03 (420nm) bulb. Actinic 03 or 420nm bulbs tend to be more of a purplish/blue color. The Actinic 03 (420nm) bulbs really help to fluoresce corals more than any other bulb. It will help green, reds, blues, etc. to really jump out of corals.

Actinic 03 (420nm)/7100k (460nm) combination bulb. The advantage to this bulb is you get the brightness of the 7100k (460nm), but also the color enhancing of the Actinic 03 (420nm). It should be noted when this bulb is turned on, the 7100k (460nm) side is so much brighter than the actinic 03 (420nm) side, it appears the actinic 03 (420nm) side isn’t even working. But if you stick a dark piece of paper between the bulbs, you will see that both sides are working.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I agree with what they said.

·
Registered
311 Posts
is this on a n existing tank? ... if you are just cycling .. my question is why would you have any fish in there at all? ....

IF you are starting your cycle .. than read .. if not goto next statement ..

There is a little bit of controversy here .... some say that during your cycle you should keep the lights on ... this will give you the algae blooms that you need to help kick start the nitrogen cycle ... other say its not needed ... however in my personal experience ... its better to run the lights just as you would with light needing critters ...

if the tank is already established .. than I would say run the lights anyway as you would normally ... this will give you a good base to start adding corals ... you will also get the algae blume .. however again it will help lower your nitrates ... When the brown algae starts to decline .. and you get green algae than its safe to start adding corals ... (green means go!)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have those exact same lights but I changed the bulb to Iwasaki 50,000k's. The color now looks amazing and no longer yellowish. *Yeah, after owning 14,000k's, even 10,000k's is starting to look yellowish to me.

Also, since my tank creeps up to 82 degrees during the day, I've turn the actinics off during most of the day so that it'd stay at 80 degrees.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dont waster the power if you are cycling the bacteria you need grows faster in the dark.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thebutler4 said:
is this on a n existing tank? ... if you are just cycling .. my question is why would you have any fish in there at all? ....

IF you are starting your cycle .. than read .. if not goto next statement ..

There is a little bit of controversy here .... some say that during your cycle you should keep the lights on ... this will give you the algae blooms that you need to help kick start the nitrogen cycle ... other say its not needed ... however in my personal experience ... its better to run the lights just as you would with light needing critters ...

if the tank is already established .. than I would say run the lights anyway as you would normally ... this will give you a good base to start adding corals ... you will also get the algae blume .. however again it will help lower your nitrates ... When the brown algae starts to decline .. and you get green algae than its safe to start adding corals ... (green means go!)
Yes, it was was an established tank when I bought it. I added new LS. I had a short cycle of brown early...then green. The turbos are taking care of the green. I'm not ready for the corals yet cause I,m still having issues with keeping the temp consistant. I think I'm going to need a chiller....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts