The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My calcium is at 400 ppm, my alk is at 11.2 dKH, so why am I not getting any (or just a tiny spot here and there) coraline algae growth? Granted, the tank is only a couple months old, but I thought with these parameters and my lighting (Coralife PC 2X96) that I would see something by now. My softies are doing just fine. What gives?

·
Registered
30 Posts
give it time pastina. you will eventually have so much of it youll get tired of scraping it. I find mine grows best in lower light areas. under rocks (barebottom) back wall etc... if and when you can add different types of live rock (Cured of course) to your tank. you can actually get reds, yellows, orange along with the greens and purples. my tank has been up for around 20 months and ive now got alot of coraline.

·
11,345 Posts
bs77 said:
Hi,

My calcium is at 400 ppm, my alk is at 11.2 dKH, so why am I not getting any (or just a tiny spot here and there) coraline algae growth? Granted, the tank is only a couple months old, but I thought with these parameters and my lighting (Coralife PC 2X96) that I would see something by now. My softies are doing just fine. What gives?
3-4 months, assuming your warter parameters have been adequate is when you should start to see the coralline start to go off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I guess I just need to be more patient and give it more time. Also, my phosphates are at .05 the last time I checked. Along the same topic, I still occasionally get some brown algae diatoms on the bottom of the sand and the glass. I thought that would stop long ago after the tank cycled. Is that normal to still get some "blooms?"

·
Registered
1 Posts
High flow will increase the speed that it will disburse and (seed) other areas of the tank. You also need at least a few live rocks that have good coverage to help it spread.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Time, Time , Time........

I'm with Bozo though, I'm about sick of coralline sometimes!! It's still nice to have, just a pain to scrape off once you let it get a good hold!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
my coraline is just now starting to kick in, and my tank is about 7 months old.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My tank is 3 and a half months old. I'm starting to get some good coraline recently, some on the back glass and some on some base rock. I did buy a few pieces of live rock that had tons on them and I'm sure these did a good job of seeding my tank.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
That does and if you scrape a piece of rock in the tank it will help seed all over the tank.If you know someone with it on the glass try and collect it and put it in your tank.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
I have heard stories of people doing large scrapings from other peoples tanks and puting them in a blender with water and blending it up, pouring it in their tank and getting huge explosions all over their tank or coraline.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
My tank is about 3 months old now and I still haven't had any coraline spread either. The coraline on the rocks are growing though, but no spread onto base rocks or glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts