The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dance:
What a relief. As a few of you know I bought a used 80gal hex tank a couple of weeks ago. The people I bought it from kept a SW fish only system. When I was picking it up, I asked them if they had ever medicated the tank with copper based medication. The guy said he wasn't sure but he knew his wife had in the past medicated the whole tank. He had no bottles of medication left so i didn't know what kind they used. I took a chance and bought the tank anyway.

For the past week, I've had the tank full of fresh water with a couple of ph's to stir things up. I bought a Salifert copper test kit yesterday, and, ......... NO COPPER DETECTED!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: :blob: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbup:

So now I will start posting progress reports on all the DIY stuff I am doing. This weekend will be the stand.

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for being so nice and helpful. Not just to me but to everybody. I've been reefing for a few years and this honestly is the first discussion board I have found where everybody genuinly wants to help everybody else. Thank you.

Below is the first photo in my adventure with the 80.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second Test

I just tested the water again just to be sure. And again no copper detected. I think I will leave the water in the tank for the entire time it takes to build the stand and canopy. I'll test the water once a week to be absolutely sure.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Your doing the right thing by doing multiple testing! Nice looking tank!:)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Awesome!!! Congrats on a great looking tank... Hex's are just outright sexy looking..

Welcome to TRT and please help the place out by helping others who venture on over like you had.

Keep us updated on the progress and plenty of pics are always welcome... :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the salifert test kit. It says it will measure copper levels in sw, tap water, ro water, di water, etc. I used regular tap water to fill the tank and let it sit for more than a week.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I can't wait to get started.

·
Registered
314 Posts
very nice tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts