The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying to get calcium right and i am not getting a reading in the morning, i am using a salifert test kit and only dosing kent tech m this test was done before adding tech m any thoughts my alk reading is 10.5 dkh magnesium is 1680 and ph 8.1. i do get a reading at night and i tested my make up water io at 1.026 and calc is 400 alk is 10.2 mag is 1400

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
with dkh and magnesium as high as they are, I'd bet your off-scale high (over 500ppm). When doing the test, if you get to the end of the first 1ml, fill up the syringe once again and keep adding until the color changes (or just due the half-scale test and double the results).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after adding the sand stuff n the 8 drops it is supposed to be pink but it is blue and then u add the drops and no color change its like i have 0ppm calcium but when i test at night i get around 420 ppm

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
why are you adding sand to the test? I'm confused.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry not sand the sugar like additive that comes in the salifert test the spoonful of purple reagent ca-1 is what it is called, u add one level spoon of ca-1 and then 8 drops of ca-2 after this the color of your test water should be pink-red and after ca-3 is added it turns to clear blue. when i add reagent one and two it is already clear blue-purple and when i add ca-3 to that it dosen't change because its already at that color

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I think this is the second recent post with a similar issue. The same problem using the Salifert test kit and it changed color before the CA-3 reagent was added. The magnesium was elevated in his sytem as well, I wonder if there is a connection.

I'm not sure what could be causing the day or night difference in readings in your case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that could have been my post i recently posted the same question just worded differently because no one really replied to it so i worded it differently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts