2 250w xm 10k bulbs
2 2 bulb coralife t5 fixtures for actinics
euro reef rs135
i use ro/di
my nitrates were 0 yesterday now there at 15
every think is good calcium 410
ph 8.29
and every thing eles is spot on
i havent been feeding that much this week 3 times this week (forgot 2 the other days)
why did my nitrates shot up like this
p.s. fly guy if you read this hold onto those frags a little bit longer till i get this worked out

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
I ment change the h2o after the spike? That is gonna help bring it down. Have you been moving rock around? Check for any kind of death? Check skimmer is clean and working?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oo ya i did a small one 5 gallons
it now reads 12 the skimmer is working fine
all the fish are alive and well the snail and inverts are alive as well
i did have a h. butterfly die last wed but i got it right out after and the readings were fine then
the rocks have been where theve allways been
but i did do some coral fragging today (leathers) can that cause it?

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
Not sure if fragging can cause it. If you moved a bunch around, maybe. What test do you use? Can you take it somewhere to double check nitrates?

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would think something is wrong with the testing. Something major would have to happen to cause nitrate to go from 0 to 15 in 24 hours. Like a large dead animal in the tank. One small dead snail would not do it. I believe something was wrong with the test that showed 0 nitrates. The nitrates have most likely been climbing for much longer than 24 hours. Do you have anything in the tank to help export nitrate other than the LR and skimmer?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EC no i dont have any other think to help me remove nitrates (should i)
i used the lfs test the first time and it said 0 and i used my test the second time (i think its safeilert or however you spell it but ill double check when i get home
i have a sample of water that im going to drop by the lfs on my way home

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o ya
i blow all the detris off the rocks befor my water change and siphon the sand bed
i skim pretty wet fill the cup up every 3 days

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after a 10g water change today the nitrates (via lfs test kit) are around 7 so i plan to keep doing water changes (10g) every day till this whole thing is worked out ill keep you all posted

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
EC no i dont have any other think to help me remove nitrates (should i) That's up to you. I would think that the 10gl water change you're doing every week should be enough to take care of most nitrate issues. Apparently it's not though. If you have a large efficient skimmer, I would start looking into getting a remote DSB and/or algae to help keep nitrates under control. You could start feeding less, but then you run the risk of having malnourished fish.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well, if they are coming down as you do water changes, I won't ask if your RO filters need changing.

Sounds like something dead to me as well.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya i have seen a large turbo snail gone missing but ill check for him when i get home
ooo EC i forgot i do have a refugium packed with parrots feather sawblade and cheto

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
The solution to pollution is dilution. Read that in someone's signature on TRT, don't remember who. What does it mean? If you want less nitrates (pollution) then the solution is dilution (Water changes). Do more frequent or higher % water changes.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow thats a great phrase well i did a 10g today and its down to 6 ill do a 20 gallon water change next afternoon and i hope it will go down to around 4-3
well i let you all know how it goes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts