The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so if i understand correctly nitrate is the end of the nitrogen process...........but the only way to reduce it is to do water changes correct?????????can you reduce it any other way..............at the end of the process i mean...........i dont feed alot.............i have a good skimmer...........1200 gph total filtration on a 45 gallon tank

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Maybe TIMMAH! can find that nitrogen thread again...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the sponge filter that came with the cpr overflow on the overflow box.............two pads in the wet/dry tray............this wet/dry has a bio wheel not bio balls..............and the filter that comes with the mag 7 on the mag 7 i use for the return in the sump.................should i get rid of some of these

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i will give you a brief description untill the chemistry god comes in his found thread. :D

nitrate is not the end of the nitrogen cycle. nitrogen is. nitrates can be turned into nitrogen by bacteria in the LR/SB. wet/dry filters or any high O2 areas can break down ammonia all the way to nitrate, but are unable to break nitrate down to nitrogen. it takes an anoxic layer in order for this to occur. areas deep in the LR or SB are anoxic and this is where nitrates are broken down.

this is why LR/SB are so important in a reef system. the entire nitrogen cycle is able to be performed in a very small area. net result is an off gassing of nitrogen into the atmosphere. wet/dry on the other hand only process to the nitrate. this free nitrate is then released into the water column. here it will eventually build up. the LR is unable to process this free nitrate because it is already processing the nitrate that the bacteria on the surface of the LR has created from the nitrate and so on.

G~

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
More than likely yes. the spmges are great at catching detritus and such but they dont remove it from the tank so it continues to decay and release all of it s nutrients. The bio-wheel isnt really needed as it can also catch detritus on it. The live rock will provide all the bio filtration you need and the skimmer will remove all the disolved solids so that between the two you get a good way to remove nutrients.

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well i am going to take the sponges off the cpr overflow, mag 7 in the sump and the bio wheel

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
One thing avbout sponges. They do serve a purpose at times but they need to be cleaned constantly. I have had to use them as a temp bubble trap in a sump. Had to clean them everu other day. If they (sponges and biowheels ) have all been in for a while then you may want to consider removing them one at a time. as they probably have bacteria populations in them. A sudden reduction of the benificial bacteria would be a bad thing for a stocked tank. tangs make alot of poop especially in a 45. Remove one item at a time so the bacteria in the rock and the rest of the tank have time to ramp up to the demands of the bio-load.
And you really should consider returning the tang to the LFS or getting a much bigger tank for it as they are an open water fish that needs lots of room. They also get stressed easily in confined spaces and are very proned to itch.

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i took out the pads in the wet/dry but left the bio wheel in, the sponge on the cpr overflow, and the sponge on the mag 7 in the sump......what else can i do to get rid of this

·
Administrator
46,883 Posts
Take out the mechanical filtration and skim ALOT
Maybe Evelyn Woodward will join here and give some pointers

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have the skimmer on the wet seting as wet as it gets...........should i remove the bio whell..........the tank isnt that old so i doubt there i stoo many bacteria on it plus i have 40lbs of ls and 50-60lbs of live rock

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
The biowheel serves no purpose in this tank, only to trap gunk that needs to flow on to the skimmer. I would remove it too. I also have a packet of Purigen in the nanocube "sump" area, it helps clean up impurities.....

HHC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts