The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 fresh water tanks, one 50 gallon, one 20 gallon. The Nitate levels are extremely high and i cant get them down. Both tanks have small fish and not very many in either so its not over populated. I have done NUMEROUS water changes and thouroughly vaccumed rock many times trying to get them down. Nothing works.. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using the liquid test kit, not the strips. Also, I have tested the tap water that i am using to see if that was the problem, but it tests fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nitrate levels for my tap water is between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm. Last time i checked it, it wasnt that high. They have been working on the water lines a couple blocks away for the last couple weeks maybe that is the problem. We are going to buy a new test kit and try water from the in-laws and restest later. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a bit of a problem. When you continue to add in water with high nitrate levels, it's just causing the nitrate level to rise in the tank with more and more water.

If they're doing work a couple of blocks, it sounds that is what most likely causing the problems.

If you're inlaws tap water is fine with the nitrate levels, you may want to consider lugging water if they let you, if nothing else to get the levels down until they're finished with the work down the road and the nitrate levels are back to normal in the tap water. just a suggestion

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can a go to a pet store and get some rodi or even a water store and get some r/o water for now and the r/o water is cheap at a water store and that will help as a temp. fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts