The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been almost 6 months since we had to take down our 180 in wall. Not having a tank, was like missing one of our kids.

So we came across a great deal on an Oceanic 45g Tech Tank, and couldn't pass it up!

Here's our build thread!

Tank Stats:
Oceanic 45g Tech Tank
Oceanic Tech Stand
Coralife 250w Metal Halide Fixture

Flow will be provided by two Tunze Nano streams 6025
Nikonosis is building his own custom sump with a mag 9 for a return
Skimmer will be the new Reef Octopus EXT 120

We had planned on all live rock, but we got a great deal at a LFS on base rock, so went that route. We spent last night, zip tying and epoxying rock together. At least we did it in front of the Tv for the super bowl!

Niko was inspired by some of the pillar type aquascaped tanks. I think our aquascaping resembles a sand zen garden.

We'd like some opinions of the aquascaping, be critical people!

Front View:

Left side:

Right Side:

Hope you'll follow along our new build. I should have some sump pictures tonight.

·
Administrator
46,756 Posts
Looks like you are off to a great start Linn, keep the pics coming and order a double dose of patience :D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Looks great Linn! Love the rockwork, but then I like the "Catfish By Actinics" look too!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Very cool tank and I love the rockwork (honestly)

There is lots of cool spots for coral that way. Are you going BB? My problem is that I didn't make my rockwork high enough the first time so I had to add rocks on top to get my monti closer to the light

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool tank and I love the rockwork (honestly)

There is lots of cool spots for coral that way. Are you going BB? My problem is that I didn't make my rockwork high enough the first time so I had to add rocks on top to get my monti closer to the light
No bare bottom, in fact we are going to have a very deep sand bed.

Anyone else have opinions on the rock work???

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Building the sump tonight:
A work in progress.

Also, I hated that you can see through the (lightly) smoked glass on the 3 doors of the oceanic tech stand, so I took them off. I'm painting the inside black.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Love the Rockwork... and nice acrylic work as well... gonna be trying my hand at that very shortly as well (like in the next couple of days)

·
No Pinch!
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like a great start! The rock work looks awesome, the only issue I see is that some of it looks close to the glass. If so it will be hard to clean and youd have purple spot! Thats the only issue I see. It really is great work!
We made sure there is enough room for glass cleaning. I hate dirty glass and I think I will scrape the back often too. I want a super clean tank.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts