The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
What most people do is try and represent the moon light, you can check online at championlighting.com they have a nice one. Not sure what others use, but sure you'll get more replies.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
are you looking to view the fish at night or simulate a moonlight like NewReefer asked.

if you want to view the fish, then i would suggest a red light. this part of the light spectrum is generally not seen by aquatic light. red gets filtered out by the water as you go deeper. this is why a lot of deep water creatures are bright red.

when doing a moomlight. you need to keep the brightness down. most people use way to much light for their moomlighting. the critters need a night time. remember even the moom rises and sets during the day and night.

G~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care to see the fish at night... I sleep too - haha. All I want is to simulate sunset and sunrise to some extent. Maybe a dim blue light that stays on for an hour after my main lighting goes off and comes on an hour before the main lights.

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
well i have no exp. with night lights but from what i have read most people are using regular screw in light bulbs in a red color.

my 0.02

what part of nc are you in? i spent two years at camp lejeune, jacksonville. i loved it- wish i was fishing in the intercostal waterway right now, or just eating a andy's burger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts