The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i have a 75 gallon tank tht i may or may not eventually put corals in (i doubt i will) and i was wondering whether i can get a niger triggerfish, ive been wanting 1 for the longest time. my inhabitants r as follows:
x5 green chromis
x4 yellowtail blue damsels
1 firefish
1 yellow tang
1 clarkii clown
1 cinnamon clown
x3 big silver mollies
1 scooter blenny
1 dusky jawfish
1 red spotted sandperch
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
and 1 HUGE turbo snail
(the clarki and the cinnamon have sorta paired up, they always hangout together and i always see the smaller cinnamon doin the little mating vibrateing dance thing)
my LFS said tht i shouldnt get 1 cus triggers dont like bottom dwellers like the sandperch, jawfish, and scooter.
i could move the peppermint shrimp to my 8 gal biocube. but i dunno if i would need to with my skunk shrimp, b/c i thought tht most predatory fish enjoy cleaner shrimp services rather than their taste.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had a trigger in a tank with a porc puffer, blue tang, and a lion fish. the trigger killed everything except the puffer and he would have killed it if i didnt get the trigger out and give him away. all the fish were close to the same size. the trigger was also very aggressive when it was feeding time and made it hard to feed everything else in the tank.

if i ever get another trigger it will go in its own tank.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have had a Niger trigger, Humu trigger, and a Clown trigger at different times. The Niger trigger was the most peaceful with the Humu being second. The Niger trigger I had was about a 2-3 inch size. He was great with other fish ( similar size) but not okay with shrimps or hermits or small crabs. I would worry about the firefish and I am sure the turbo snail would become a snack. It was the most peaceful of the triggers and was afraid of some of the other fish in the tank (angel).

Why chance it? Pick something else or get a small Niger and keep an eye on it. Your firefish will become food one day if it can be caught.

SUP

·
Why is Reefing so hard ?
418 Posts
I have had a Niger trigger in my reef for 3 years now and he is aggressive and huge. He's about 6" and is triple the size of any other fish in my tank and he bothers no one at all. I do see him nail a snail or hermit once in a while but i get the cheap snails anyway and throw another 20 hermits and 20 snails in there about every 3 months to replenish what he killed off. Other than that i have had the trigger with many kinds of fish over the years and he killed none of them except my chromis damsels, currently i have a hippo tang, maroon clownfish, 6 line wrasse, red sea sailfin tang and 1 blue damsel that he's been trying to catch for 2+ years lol. He bothers no corals and i would say get a small one and see how it goes and watch him, i got mine 3 years ago when he was like 1.5" and he grew pretty fast in a 110 gallon tank he's atleast 6" now. Good luck and PM me if you have any other questions

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, i went ahead and got a female blue throat trigger instead...i did some research and found out tht of all the triggers these r the best for a reef. my yellow tang is bigger than her and is still gettin used to her. the yellow tang tried to slice her with its tail but it seemed to be an epic fail slice. i put a peice of krill by the cave she was hiding in and she started eating it from my hand tht quick. if any1 has a good suggestion on wat i could name her thtd be great. i think she has to be my fave fish now. i would have gotten a male but for 1 they were $40 and i only had $27 on me, and the guy said the males were also a lil more aggressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.