The Reef Tank banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
grazhopr said:
Thanks Geoff!!!

I ran it with just tap water for awhile. I had problems with the pump. I didn't want to glue the whole thing so that I could change impellers if necessary. But I think I'll have to do so, unless someone gives me a good idea.
I modified the pump by glueing a 90 deg elbow to the cap below the impeller, but the oring between the cap and the pump body leaks. I tried silicone, didn't work, tried teflon, didn't work. I think the only thing left to do is to glue the cap to the pump body. If the pump fails, I'll have to get a new one.
this is why i had to go with the via aqua 1300. it was the least expensive in-line pump i could find. unfortunately it died when my X10 controller to it wigged out. i am now using a mag 250 on it. it is also an in-line rated pump.

i tried using an extra PH at first. it was pretty funny when the pressure built up behind a silicone plug i did, and it shot me in head followed by a gush of water in the face. Newfiemom thought it was hilarious.:rolleyes:

it is a tough call on whether or not it is better to replace the entire pump everynow and then or get an in-line pump so you can replace the impeller. i finally decided on the in-line pump route.

Great job,

G~

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks!

this is why i had to go with the via aqua 1300. it was the least expensive in-line pump i could find. unfortunately it died when my X10 controller to it wigged out. i am now using a mag 250 on it. it is also an in-line rated pump.
I'm glad you mentioned it, because I have a spare Mag 2 I was saving for my C02 reactor project. I didn't use it on the Nielsen because I thought it was overkill. 250 gph against 65 gph !! That's quite a difference!!
My Nielsen is 3+ ft tall. Will it handle the flow rate. I mean, does it create a milk shake all the way to the top of the reactor?

Thanks again Geoff!

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
it does not with mine and mine is only 24" high. it takes a while for the milkshake to work its way up the sides. the closer the pump exit is to the bottom of the reactor the harder it is for the milkshake to get to the top of the reactor. in mine it only gets up to the 2/3 point in the reactor. i also have mine set to stir for 3 minutes then rest for an hour.

HTH,

G~

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.