The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a nice sump that includes a refugium and a skimmer for 120-180 gallons?

Also, if you have a stand tank and canopy and the tank doesnt have an overflow how do you filter it? I am new to stand and canopy setups.:idea:

·
Registered
73 Posts
What would be a nice sump that includes a refugium and a skimmer for 120-180 gallons?

Also, if you have a stand tank and canopy and the tank doesnt have an overflow how do you filter it? I am new to stand and canopy setups.:idea:
A few questions so we can better answer your question.
Why 120-180gal, what size is your tank?
Are you saying that your tank isn't drilled for an overflow?
What will you be keeping so we know how big of a skimmer you'll need?
Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few questions so we can better answer your question.
Why 120-180gal, what size is your tank?
Are you saying that your tank isn't drilled for an overflow?
What will you be keeping so we know how big of a skimmer you'll need?
Thanks

Ok really sorry about the poor info lol, here is the deal i havent bought my tank and these are the ones im interested in, and yes, a few of them dont have a drilled overflow. And it will be a reef tank with softies, and a few reef safe fish here and there:D, im also looking into fragging and propogation once the tank is established and i learn a little more about fragging and propogation, also i already have a catilina 1000 canister filter, and a seaclone 100 skimmer, which im looking to replace for a nicer one, i also have the lighting covered, (metal halides)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fur/522277699.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fur/512546202.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/510537489.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/504851566.html

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
Lotta new faces in this thread, Welcome to TRT, now the inquisition begins :)
You realize that embarking on a reef tank setup, the tank is probably the least expensive piece of the setup :)
In the tank size range you are looking at, you are better off spending the extra and getting a Reef Ready tank, rather than attempting to drill and plumb it yourself.
A sump can be bought in many configurations but you can easily adapt a used tank of suitable size into a sump. Check the thread for sump builds and mods, its not hat hard to set up and modify to suit your particular needs.
A decent skimmer is going to cost some serious money, buying some cheapo unit will most likely wind up being a waste of money, can I get an AMEN :)
I will let you chew on that for a bit before introducing you to the heartbreak of Reef Lighting

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lotta new faces in this thread, Welcome to TRT, now the inquisition begins :)
You realize that embarking on a reef tank setup, the tank is probably the least expensive piece of the setup :)
In the tank size range you are looking at, you are better off spending the extra and getting a Reef Ready tank, rather than attempting to drill and plumb it yourself.
A sump can be bought in many configurations but you can easily adapt a used tank of suitable size into a sump. Check the thread for sump builds and mods, its not hat hard to set up and modify to suit your particular needs.
A decent skimmer is going to cost some serious money, buying some cheapo unit will most likely wind up being a waste of money, can I get an AMEN :)
I will let you chew on that for a bit before introducing you to the heartbreak of Reef Lighting
Haha yah, lighting is expensive stuff, fortanately i got myself some good metal halide lights, so i dont think ill need to worry about that, right?:read:

and so your saying it is pretty easy to setup a sump on a tank? ya ive learned from my mistakes on my first tank saltwater tank, DONT GO CHEAPO:doh:, so what do you recommend i should do, i want to get a new tank around 120 size, but its virtually impossible to find a marine ready package that includes the stand and canopy for my 1.5k budget :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
You will save yourself a whole lot of time and effort if you get a reef ready tank to start off with and it is very easy to take an existing tank and silicone in some baffles to create a sump for it for a whole lot cheaper than a one-in-all setup.

Doug1, I'll give you an AMEN on the cheap skimmer piece. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a skimmer for cheap that is not a cheap skimmer, you just have to be patient and do a lot of looking.

The reason I say that is because I am running a CPR CY-294 setup under my 75 reef tank. This is supposed to be a wet/dry system but I removed the bio-bale and use that section for my sump. More information on it can be found at Marine Depot the price is a little shocking, but I paid way less than that for the entire tank, stand, canopy, wet/dry, and a 48" 4X65 Aqualight Power Compact setup. The system had never even seen water yet when I drove the 3 1/2 hours to pick it up.

Since I am new here I am going to start a thread with heavy pictures of my setup so you will be able to see what I am talking about.

Good luck with everything.

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
Haha yah, lighting is expensive stuff, fortanately i got myself some good metal halide lights, so i dont think ill need to worry about that, right?:read:

and so your saying it is pretty easy to setup a sump on a tank? ya ive learned from my mistakes on my first tank saltwater tank, DONT GO CHEAPO:doh:, so what do you recommend i should do, i want to get a new tank around 120 size, but its virtually impossible to find a marine ready package that includes the stand and canopy for my 1.5k budget :cry:
Good on lights, thats usually a big chunk of change :) As to the stand and canopy, are you at all handy with wood working tools or friends with someone that is and has shop space. You can build a serviceable set up for a lot less than retail items and a lot stronger than the cheezy aquarium stands the LFS carries. We have several stand and canopy threads on here and a lot of builders that can walk you thru the process :) One of the most important lessons I have learned is incorporating one or both ends that open to slide a sum in and out as opposed to removing the center brace to place a sump then putting it back.

You will save yourself a whole lot of time and effort if you get a reef ready tank to start off with and it is very easy to take an existing tank and silicone in some baffles to create a sump for it for a whole lot cheaper than a one-in-all setup.

Doug1, I'll give you an AMEN on the cheap skimmer piece. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a skimmer for cheap that is not a cheap skimmer, you just have to be patient and do a lot of looking.

The reason I say that is because I am running a CPR CY-294 setup under my 75 reef tank. This is supposed to be a wet/dry system but I removed the bio-bale and use that section for my sump. More information on it can be found at Marine Depot the price is a little shocking, but I paid way less than that for the entire tank, stand, canopy, wet/dry, and a 48" 4X65 Aqualight Power Compact setup. The system had never even seen water yet when I drove the 3 1/2 hours to pick it up.

Since I am new here I am going to start a thread with heavy pictures of my setup so you will be able to see what I am talking about.

Good luck with everything.
Build pics are good, these reefnuts thrive on them ;)

At this point the best piece of advice I can offer is to plan the tank and inhabitants out in advance , Decide what you want to keep and plan around that. keep in mind that different corals have different needs, so a dedicated biotope usually works out better in the long run than hodge podging a mixed reef and always having to upgrade something.
This board has a lot of talented people with a wealth of experience in all phases of reef keeping. There isn't a whole lot in the hobby that someone here hasn't tried. if you run your ideas by the board, I am sure you will get a lot of good information on how to get something done with the least amount of lost time and money :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey FishFanatic,
It looks like you've got a lot of really good advice from everyone so far. I figured I'd put my 2 cents in as well since I see you've answered the questions I asked.
First off, you should definitely listen to the advice given about getting a reef-ready tank, you'll be sooo greatful that you don't have to use a siphon overflow, it just complicates things. Also, building a stand will save you money and allow you to customize it to your exact needs, space, and style. If you can't build one yourself you can likely find one on craig's list. A 120 gal is a wonderful choice, I bought a 90gal recently but kind of wish I wend with a 120 just for the extra overflow, the difference in cost is so little. As for a skimmer, I got the Octopus NW-200 (non-recirculating) for $180 from marinesolutions and it works great. The sump, as others suggested can be easily made from a used tank bought off craig's list for very little. I picked up a 29gal tank for $10 and used some scrap glass to make some baffles. Super easy. I actually ended up having a custom sump made that was larger but it was only $125 for the exact size and shape I wanted (from Catalina Aquarium). So, as you can see there are a ton options but the key is to take your time, do lots of research, ask lots of questions, and remember to look on craig's list if you're on a budget, there are many treasures to be found if you can be patient and keep and eye out. By the way, if you need some ideas you can follow the link to my tank chronicle in my signature for ideas on making a stand, making a sump, plumbing, and so on. It's not the perfect set-up or anything but it may give you some ideas.
Good luck,
Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts