The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

I am almost ready to start this with members.

The plan is simple:

1) Identify who has mature sps tanks, lps tanks, and softie tanks.

2) Who are long term members that will be willing to participate in the future. (Not meaning who has only been with nfmas for years, only who is in the hobby for the long term)

3) Start a list of frags that will be shared.

4) Maybe start a wish list

5) Frag recievee must share with at least three other members for free :)

Now, if other members are still interested in this, I will start this with a couple of types of sps, maybe a lps, and definatley a nice type of zoo or two. There is no fee involved, nor should there ever be. Just a way to ensure that eventually everyone has some nice frags (hopefully in time,colonies)

How does the july meeting sound to start? Also, as always, any input would be helpful. My way of keeping things organized is by using a list using either MS word or excel :(

Paul

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can't you be? You are a hobbiest correct. I understand you own or co-own a lfs, but you wouldn't be in the "fish business" if you hated the hobby now would you :) As a matter of fact, you are in a better situation as far as finding those killer frags. You may could designate one frag to only be sold as this type of frag, possibly discounted, or whatever you may want to do. (I am sure you have never supported nfmas anyway :rotflmao: )

Now, this leads to another idea. Possibly putting together a nfmas "official frag tank" to grow frags that could be auctioned at meetings to support nfmas. But, this is where the problem of money gets involved.

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
I nominate that LFS's can be part of the club!

I don't know if the club frag tank would really work out. You would have to worry about where it would be, and what about upkeep / equipment, and somebody footing electric bills, etc....

I think that if we made a list of corals that members would be willing to frag, then drew lottery to see who would receive first frag, second frag, etc... of that coral. Obviously, someone might have to wait a while to get their frag, but at least they would be on the list. Eventually it would pyramid as more frags matured, and were ready to re-frag. Do that for all the coral types, and ensure they are distributed equally, and it should work out pretty good.

Corals like gsp's, xenia, purple mushrooms, etc... shouldn't be included because people are always sharing these anyway.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok I will start, I got some green with pink tip frogspawn, pink with green tip hammer, light mint green candy cane, green with peach tip digi, brown with purple tip digi, purple cap with peach/pinkish edge.
I also have pulsing xenia, large green palys and a zillion kenyas....but I guess I paid them forward cause I gotta go nationwide to find someone without them :)
Carrie

Attachments

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have some yellow w/green polyps acro (yellow striata) a few have frags already. A purple tip tricolor acro, a yellow digi, orange polyp w/green base digi, Pink palys, mohawk palys,and hopefully a suprise or two. What I would really like to get is a rare coral to be spread around, I am working on it.

So lets see:

LPS,

1. pink tip frog spawn
2. Pink w/green tip hammer
3. mint green candy cane

Zoa's and softies

1. Green palys
2. Pink palys
3. Mohawk palys
4. Suprise zoas (I ain't tellin)
5. Kenya (Any takers?)
6. Xenia :rotflmao:

SPS,

1. green w/peach tip digi
2. brown w/purple tip digi
3. purple cap with peach/pinkish edge
4. Yellow w/green polyps (yellow straita)
5. Purple tip tri-color
6. yellow digi
7. Orange polyps w/green base digi

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ikaria,

I think the drawing is a good idea! We will need to have three of them though. One for each type that a persons tank is set-up for. I would hate to think someone with NO floresent, or power compacts got an acro that won't survive.

The whole nfmas frag tank is just a idea. But, if frags start to get spread around, it will be just as good.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
SSweet1 said:
Ok I will start, I got some green with pink tip frogspawn, pink with green tip hammer, light mint green candy cane, green with peach tip digi, brown with purple tip digi, purple cap with peach/pinkish edge.
I also have pulsing xenia, large green palys and a zillion kenyas....but I guess I paid them forward cause I gotta go nationwide to find someone without them :)
Carrie
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
:dance: Applause Carrie! You posted a picture! :banana:

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
let me see what I can pay forward. I got some stuff:) count me in for neon green zoos, red elongated xenia, pom poms, light blue/brown zoos.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks waynesworld! That is what I am talking about! I think ikaria had a good point about xenia being excluded (sorry carrie :) ). I still think it is a good thing that people bring xenia to the meetings as there is always a new face or three that would just love some.

The zoa's will be added to the list for sure! I am fragging my zoa's now for a july kickoff. I want to make sure the zoa's are healed and spreading to hopefully give someone a good jump start.

:banana: marineduud :banana:

Now it is official! We appreciate everything you guys have done for the club! Not to mention the awsome frags I find everytime I visit.

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is anyone still interested in this? If so, what kind of frags do you all prefer; fresh cut, or healed? July was my planned kickoff, so let me know!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
jjaalmaraz said:
I can't find any pics of Kenya or Pom Poms. What do they look like?
1st pic is small cluster of PomPom Xenia, 2nd pic has 2 Kenya trees (center and to lower right).

·
Oh I wish I was.......
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I can spare a nice "tree" of kenya tree :) I have at least 4 small and 1 large piece to get rid of at the july meeting. If noone wants it, donation to the host store it becomes :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Put me down for the Kenya, it looks pretty cool. I didn't realize Pom Pom was another way to say Xenia :p. I'm still learning this hobby, I hope I listen enough here so it is not the hard way.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
A great tool to have in the hobby is a good ID book. Bioreef and Atlantis both keep some in stock and Barnes and noble/borders carries good books as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts