The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any chance of having the next meeting on fragging? Maybe some live demos or pictures of specimens and how you would frag them. I am still a little paranoid about hacking up stuff. I think I hear the shrooms scream when I cut them into small pieces!!! (this has not stopped me however!) Also maybe how to mount the frags so that they take hold of something. In other words a beginners workshop:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Idea

Hi I am new around here and I was going to go to the last meeting but I was in San Diego, so hopefully i will be able to attend the next meeting.

I am also interested in learning how to frag corals and see how it is done by people who know how frag well.

Thanks

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
if the meeting is on a day that i can attend, i would love toh elp some people frag. i know jfly, chewie, wannareef, and binylee are also acomplished fraggers.

i am pretty busy with work for the next month, but if the meeting falls on a sunday, and i am not doing something else that was already schedualled, ill help ya out.

i would recommend when the time gets closer, that you maybe find a coral in your tank, and then let us know what it is, and someone at the meeting can help you through the process of fragging it... ie. you bring it, and we frag it together.

also keep in mind, september will probably be a soft coral blow out sale from my tank, so i will have stuff there for people to play with. i was going to frag the bigger stuff and make a bunch of 5 dollar frags, but if someone wants to buy a larger colony and frag it there to learn, we can plan for that as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would I be tentative about a fish named Lucifer??? Would like to see how someone would frag the leather coral you have pictured. For the sake of everything that I have recieved from folks out there I would be willing to buy a large softie from you and then use it as a frag sample and divie up the baby frags to interested parties for trade purposes or iou's or paybacks from people who gave me stuff at the first meeting.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
as charles and his wife can attest, lucifer is a meanie. he spent the entire time they were here chasing my hand around the tank, and when i was pointing at stuff from outside the glass, he was following me around like a caged tiger looking for an opening to strike through... thank heavens i have fish-proof glass! he has gone 976-EVIL on me.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ryan -
Are you getting rid of softies to go SPS or what? Did somebody get some new MH????:D Later!

-Big Dave

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
yeah, my new tank is going to be sps, i am going for dual 250 watt halides over a 115 gallon tank towards the end of september. i want to get rid of anything that might either sting, or chemically combat the new sps that i hope to aquire.

i am working through my books to find out what is safe and what is not, but i am definately losing the leathers, the trees, and a good number of my more prolific growing zoos. also i am reading horror stories of people whose tanks are getting overrun by mushrooms, so i will be getting rid of them, which is a shame since i just spent 8 months working up a good collection of them :p

incidentally, did that thing i gave you end up being a shroom or a ric? is it coloring up yet?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's still the same color but it looks like a ricordia. I had under some netting (with big holes) and of course, it slipped out. It's kind of on the side of a rock so I don't have a great view of it. I'll move the rock in a week or so when it's attached.

When you get ready, Let me know - I'll have to come by and cherry pick some shrooms and zoos!! (and bring corona!)

:beer:
-Big Dave

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did someone say Corona????!!!!!! MMMMMMM. AHHHH. I can taste it now. Let me know how much you want for the Blenny, maybe I can put him in one of my tanks. If possible, id rather have just a frag of him instead....... Let me know what you can do Ryan. Thanks. :D

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i can frag him i am pretty sure, would you prefer an orange frag, or a black frag? i will have to do some research and get back to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.