The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a leather last Saturday and all seems well. I've attached a picture so let me know if I'm not correct in my assessment.

For fathers day, I can get something new. I've have my eye on an Open Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia). I'm wondering what the difficulty level is. Would there be something I need to understand before I can have this thrive in my tank?

Thanks,
Brian

Specs:

65 with 30 sump
90+ pounds of lr
euro-reef skimmer

water parms: (all test with salifert)

trate = 0ppm
trite = 0ppm
amonia = 0ppm
calcium = 330 ppm
alk = 9.3 dKH
temp = 80 degrees (controlled by chiller)

Lighting:
2 * 250 watt 10k XM metal halide bulbs
2 * 96 watt VHO super actinic bulbs

Attachments

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
A long Polyp Toadstool! I LOVE the color and it looks SUPER healthy! Congratulations! Unfortunately I don't have the room in the sand for an open brain so I haven't researched them. They ARE fascinating though....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Butch!

I also have another coral in mind too. It's a Cynarina Lacrymalis (owl eye coral) I think I like the open brain better but my lfs said they would require about the same care.

Eventually I would like to do clams

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
my friend has an open brain on the sandbed of his 75 gallon tank. i love it. it looks great. he hand feeds it once a week. a plate coral would be nice too, if you are looking at something to be placed on the sandbed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So there isn't any reason why I shouldn't be able to keep this guy healthy? The 4 inch comment, I take it that it stings things? What type of food would I need to feed it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts