The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

so I'm still in the early research faze of having a reef tank, and I've been reading a lot of the forums and blogs on here and have learned a lot of stuff already in the last few days that I have been here.

One thing that I can't seem to find is an actual list of what I would need to start a tank. For a beginner what would you recommend?

I am a novice at this and when I say novice I mean barely made a scratch on the surface of this new hobby. So lamens terms if you please.

Sarah

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Welcome to TRT Sarah!!!

Some of the basic stuff you will need are as followed.

Test Kit
Hydrometer (for getting your specific Gravity or SG)
Heater
Protein Skimmer
Power Head/s
good Light
I am probably for getting some things, but this is a good start for you. I would Recommend you ask questions on each of the listed items.

Also I would recommend you read this thread-
Reefkeeping made easy- what was not explained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have a 10g but I know that nano's are a lot harder to manage so I'm looking to go bigger probably 30 or so.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Your welcome, if you go with a nano many choose not to run a skimmer. But being that this will be your first tank I would recommend a 30 or bigger. The problem with Nano's is that when things go wrong they do so very fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a new marine keeper

Hi Sarha

I'm new 2 all this as well been running a 400lts tank for about 6-7 weeks now and really going well.

Back to you.

Set your budget.

What do you want to keep

find the correct spot where you want to put the tank and that will sort the size out make sure you allow lots of air flow around it.

Remember when your buying you have to purchase things to change water so that means another heater more salt another bucket temp monitor and so on.

Plan plan and plan again lots of advice on hear and good advice and I also found some great stuff on you tube

Good luck and go for it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Okay .... you already said "reef" in your post .... so, I'm guessing you want some "inverts" as well .... and you're willing to go larger than the 10 gallon you currently have.

While working in a LFS (Local Fish Store) for almost 20 years .... about 10 years ago ... I had lots of customers wanting to jump into a saltwater tank ... fewer into the "reef" aspect .... inverts, like coral ... can rack up the budget because they need specific lighting, water quality, etc ...

So ... like them ... I'm gonna ask you one very important question ..... "what do you want" ... what is the ONE critter (fish or invert) that you MUST have?

After getting the answer I would help them build the system they needed to succeed .....

I'm not "up to date" on the "latest greatest" equipment ... but there are many here that can help with that aspect .....

But ... as a "beginning hobbyist" .... I'd reccomend that you start with the "one" critter you gotta have ..... then go from there .... consider it a "building block" ......

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
1. Tank (drilled or overflow box)
2. stand (hood optional)
3. adequate skimmer
4. (Recommend a sump and return pump but not necessary)
5. Light (I love my LED's)
6. Live rock (sand optional)
7. powerheads
8. fans for light or hood
9. hydrometer
10. timers or controllers
11. test kits ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium
12. bucket of salt
13. RODI unit or water (purifier)
14. patience
15. good husbandry, a way to maintain CA,ALK,MAG, temp, PH, keep a tidy tank.
16 Heater

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Great advice...once you know the one thing you really want, build your environment around it. Too many of us try to put incompatible animals and inverts in a small glass box, and then nobody is happy

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
I would skip the hydrometer and buy a refractometer. Don't skimp on equipment, buy the best or you'll end up replacing the cheap stuff anyway

·
Forever Learner
106 Posts
Welcome to TRT :)

I'm only about 1 year into this hobby and I'm loving it. I would defiantly do things differently then I did :(. But live and learn and you made the first right step by asking a question.

The first thing I would say to you is that the number one thing you need is patients. this does not happen fast.

I think the other musts are:
Do your research on everything I have wasted so much time and money because I have bought the wrong piece of equipment or worse a bad fish. Some things aren't going to be cheap but it is a lot better to buy the right thing first then be like me and get something that does not work at all ( Im looking at you sea clone skimmer) then have to replace it anyways.

I started with a 30g and I have to work on it about every 3-5 days plus my weekly water changes. I'm going to go bigger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the one thing I want most is an anemone. I love them. Of course I want fish but I definitely want corals more.
I so want to thank all of you for helping me. I'm still doing a lot of research and reading what some of the other threads and blogs I definitely want to do this right the first time.
I should probably set myself a budget but I have a problem when I want something money doesn't usually factor in.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
I still use my hydrometer. :)

If you want a nem and corals you will need strong enough lighting.
If you are handy there are some good DIY LED kits out there that are reasonably priced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts