The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to marine fish, but WOW, I'm glad my partner took me to a shop to view some, within 2wks I've fallen in love with the colourful fish and amazing corals, so I've got a new hobby. I've got myself a 300ltr tank set up, 50kg live rock, and about 8 fish and a couple of corals, having some high nitrate probs at the moment, but I've been advised this is to be expected down to the move of the tank.
My question is this, I have at present, apart from 8 fish, 10 hermit crabs and 12 snails, I know I need to add to my cleaning crew (once my nirate's acceptable) but from what I see on-line at sites selling 'cleaner crews' they advise 1 pack per 10 gallon, and that's about 12snails and 4 crabs. Surley my tank would be over-run if I got this many? Can anyone advise me how many snail/crabs etc I should get, should I get a cucumber or starfish maybe. I forgot to mention I have 3 cleaner shrimp too.
Any advice you care to give would be appreciated and help me get to grips with my fasinating new hobby.
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
763 Posts
im not a proponent of big "cleanup crews" I let water changes, lots of flow and skimming act as my cleanup in my 180.

I have about 6 snails & 2 hermits.. also my tanks been BB for about 5 years now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah rite, so if I keep on top of the cleaning duties myself I shouldn't need much more than 20 snails and 12 hermit crabs you think? Good. My partner wants a starfish though, and I fancy a mithrax crab or two. I'm not putting anything at all in until my waters been stable at acceptable levels for 4wks mind.
I saw my first marine tank at Viscum in Doncaster not last Sunday the one before, fell in love, and bought a second hand set up off flea bay. So yeah, just short of two weeks.
My partner has kept tropical fish for years but never marine, and I've never been cloder than battered cod up to 2wk ago. But it really does seem fascinating, if a bit expensive possibly.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Slow down. No more livestock for awhile.
Buy a good intro book such as Bob Fenner's Conscientious Marine Aquarist.
The Reef Aquarium Volumes 2 and 3 by Julian Sprung and J. Charles Delbeek are two good books that take you a bit deeper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I know, I need to let it settle for a month or two at least.
One thing I'm going to change though is at present the tank has 2 pumps blowing a current from either end, one at the top one at the bottom. I'm going to get rid of these and put these wave maker pumps in. Will I need two, or just one? How powerful? And do I put them at either end or both blowing from the same side?
Your comments are highly appreciated. I have purchased and read 'Understanding Marine Fish' by Steve Halls and I'm looking at some other second hand ones on our friendly auction site to educate me a little.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
2 weeks old & you have 8 fish in there? The tank can't have cycled yet...
Good luck.

·
Just Another Reefer
581 Posts
Welcme to TRT,

I would expect some loss of livestock since you did not give your live rock, the biological filter of the tank, time to grow the necessary amount of bacteria to breakdown the amnonia created dy your fish and the food you feed them.

What type of skimmer do you have?
Do you have a sump or wet-dry filter?
Are you using RO/DI water

For now change 5-10% of your water weekly until NO3/NO2 levels lower.
You can temporarily use AZ-NO3 additive to lower levels.
If you have a skimmer adjust it to skim "wet" , meaning more light clear liqiud in collection cup.

HTH

Doug

Please don't add anything more livestock to the tank.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
The only clean up crew I purchase is Mexican Turbo snails. The rest come in on/in live rock. I don't think you need any more critters.
Is this a tank that was set up somewhere else, and you just moved it into your house?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't. I bought the set up second hand and it was cycled and well established (I was told) where it was, I brought as much of the water as I could, approx 50% but I did lose one Foxface and a Damsel the morning after the move. So I have to wait for the tank to cycle again when it's moved? I wasn't told this, I think the guy just wanted my money and rid of the tank really, he told me a lot of stuff that I've since found out to be wrong, there are 2 corals, well, 4 mushroom corals, and a stone covered in purple polyp/flower type things, and even though my nitrate levels are through the roof both look healthier than when he had the tank, the purple stone hing wasn't even opened but has bloomed now and the mushrooms have grown quite a bit, so I'm thinking he probably kept the tank in poor upkeep. I'm trying my best to get nitrate down without loosing anything, I've cut feeding from the 3 a day he told me to just the once and I'm changing 30% ish water each week, not ro just standard shop bought salt water. Oh and I've added nitrate minus last week and again yesterday after the water change. I'll keep this thread updated on how I get on. Fingers crossed. Will the tank even cycle with fish in it? What do people recommend? Just weekly water changes, low feeding and leave it to settle as much as possible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it had been set up some time I believe. Couldn't move enough water the night of the move so had to leave the fish with no filter or skimmer, probably why the 2 fish died, I filled it up day after.
It's a Juwel Rio 300 with the built in filter/heater in the corner, I've removed the old carbon and ceramics from it and put in new carbon and I'm changing the floss pad each week as advised. It has a V2 Skim 600 which seems to be working fine. It's 300 litre, 50kg live rock ( I think he had this out of water for about 6hrs, he really didn't take as much care preparing it for transit as I'd have liked) There's a yellow tang, regal tang, convivt blenny, pink spotted goby, 2 clown fish, semi cirle angelfish and one that is kinda grey brown and changes colour to match the rocks, about ten assorted hermit crabs and about 10 snails, 4 mushroom coral and the pink rock polyp thing. Everything seems fine except the waters nitrate is through the roof.
Think that's about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's not possible to move a tank without it having to cycle again, how do people buy second hand set up's like mine then?
Or are the comments above thinking I'd bought a new set up and thrown hundreds of pounds of fish into it on day 1? No, I'm new but not that stupid, but should I still be expecting to lose livestock then? How long am I looking at the stabalise this tank? Weeks? Months? Ever? Yikes.
Me thinks maybe I should've researched a bit more first, erm best take that not stupid comment back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you kept about 50% you should still experience a small cycle still. You should wait until your nitrates are 0 and stay that way before adding livestock. Your post sounded like you just bought a new tank, filled it up with water and threw in some fish. A lot of newbies don't realize that you have to wait a while before adding livestock.

cleanup crews are usually way overestimated on sales websites and most people get a handful of crabs and snails and call it a day. I would add a small amount of cleanup crew and see if they're getting the job done and if not then get some more. Usually waterchanges and a good skimmer is pretty much all you need.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
I got my CUC from www.reefcleaners.org
John Maloney is very knowledgeable; won't over-sell you; will customize a crew based on your specs; postage is minimal.

I am very pleased with my crew and they do a wonderful job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts