The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

First of all let me compliment you on a great forum. I've been reffered here many times by different sites while doing my research. I have been wanting to get into this hobby for a few years, as some of my friends have had saltwater tanks, and I've always been jealous. So I ended up doing a few weeks of research, and finally bought a tank from one of my buddies who gave me a decent price for his. I would like to add that I am not a jerk that dove into this head first without doing any research or having any knowledge of whats involved what so ever. I realize that this hobby is always an on-going proccess and that there will be many failures and disapointments, but I'am in it for the long haul.

Here is what I have so far:

55gal glass tank
2 X 15W fluorescent bulbs
1 Bio-Wheel 200 filter
1 Bio-Wheel 150 filter
1 Heater
40lbs of cured Fiji Live Rock
40lbs of Live Sand
2 X Domino Damsels
1 X Striped Damsel
1 X Yellow Tailed Damsel

I added the fish to cycle the tank after about a week of letting the live rock sit in the tank. The fish are doing well I've had them about a week.

I know there is a lot more stuff that I need to get in order to get my tank "up-to speed" eventually I would like to introduce some coral but I know it's a long long long way off. But I would like to start getting my tank ready so that eventually it will be possible to do this.

Here is a list of things that I know I need / want to get

80 lbs Live Rock
Better Lighting (I was thinking 4 X 110W 48" flourescents")
- Better Hood / Canopy

Protein Skimmer
Sump Tank
- Refugium
- Wet / Dry Filter

I know that I need / should have all of these things, and probably a lot more. But since all the stuff is kind of expensive I would like to do this stuff an item at a time. I am pretty hands on and I've seen a lot DIY plans most of which are quite vague.

I am hoping you guys would be able to help me prioritize this list. And give me some pointers. I would very much appreciate the help :p

Thank You

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT,
Im sure you will get great advice here
we have many great members with great tanks.:wavey:

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Well you don't need the wet/dry if your going to have a a sump.You should get all your Live Rock now so you don't go threw enougher cycle, then the lighting and a skimmer,then get rid of the bio wheels(you can take the wheels out now).Gets some powerheads for movements.Don't forget about heaters and test kits!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the welcome!

So you guys think that I should go with the live rock first? How much should I get I was thinking an additional 40-50lbs, does that sound right?

As for lighting I was thinking about going with this one
http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/Lobos/
I'm wondering if this going to be enough light.
Also should I just get the 2X96W PC as they have in the article, or try to get more powerfull PC bulbs?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT..
take a looka t the FAQ articles if you have not already, that will help answer a few questions and make you ask a bunch more...
Yup add the LR first , wet or dry it will ( most of the time) give you a full cycle or mini cycle. no need for the bio wheel part of the filters either.
your main filter system will be the skimmer and the LR..

when looking at your lighting system, ask your self what corals do you think you want now and later.. try to get something for the later corals. this will save you time and money down the line. I know you said corals later but doing the DIY for it now is better, a lot of us are DIY people. we will gladly help if we can.
as george said no need for a W/D filter system.. more of a headacke then anythign else ina reef system. Look at a CLS ( closed loop system ) to add extra water movement to your display.........
welcome to your new adiction!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Probably just about another 40 lbs. Alot will depend on rock type. Some are lighter but more porous and serface area, so do the same as a smaller yet heavier rock. Oh and Welcome to TRT. Again lighting depends on what you will keep. Think about it and get lighting to meet those needs so you don't have to spend even more money later.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Welcome to TRT! I've learned tons here on these forums, it's a great place to be if you want to keep reef tanks!

HHC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

Agreed, you really do not need the Wet & Dry or the Bio-wheels on the filters. One very important thing to have in mind is to get a quality skimmer, do not get one of the cheap things out there, remember that you get what you pay for, this could not be more true in this hobby.
Glad to see you are already doing research, keep that up and you will have a nice tank in no time. Starting out with fish only is a good idea so you can get the routine down, maintenance, top off, and all that.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

before you do anything with your lighting, figure out what you want to keep. the lighting you have will support softies just fine.

you also might want to think about removing those damsels now while you still can. the current thinking is not to use fish at all for cycling a tank. just use LR. damnsels are some of the meanest fish and they will terrorize any other fish you will put in there.

G~

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Welcome! Nice to have you aboard. You'll love it here. It's a great forum... full of wonderful people with great advice and humor.
Get rid of the bio balls, like others have mentioned.
I always ask here first and research on the net before I actually buy anything. If you have a reliable fish store, they will help too.
Can't wait to see some pics of your tank.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!
Research here and ask every little question that you can think of, that's the key, and you won't find a more friendly or helpful site anywhere else! :agree:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts