The Reef Tank banner

Newbie Update cont...

308 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  emkbass 
#1 ·
So I wanted to share my progress but also get some advice on the next steps, I am currently about 6 weeks into my new set up and tank cycle, reef tank intentions. I have a 55 gal tank, running V2 600 skimmer and have 2 koralia pumps (not sure of exact model but not the nano ones). Live sand bed approx 1 inch and 20kg of live rock with 10kg of lava base rock.

Levels so far are, PH 8.3, Temp 27 degrees, Salinity 1.024, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Amonia <0.1.

This weekend was planning my first additions and am all but decided on a pair of common clowns, spotted cardinal and 2 turbo snails. What does everyone think?

Was then looking for a 'coral for beginners' and further suggestions on CUC, was ideally looking for something to unsettle the sand bed? Adding in a few weeks time....

Thanks in advance for any comments or welcome suggestions! ;)

#2 ·
Did you see a rise in nirtrites in your cycle? I'm wondering if your tank actually cycled based on the fact that there is still ammonia in it.

Personally, I would not put 3 fish in there at once. You might get away with the 2 clowns, or just the cardinal but I wouldn't do all 3. Really I would start with some CUC members first, but if you are intent on getting fish first, 3 is too many imho.

Coral for beginners? Mushrooms, leathers, yellow polyps are good ones.

For CUC you could go with a few hermits, a few cerith snails, and a few nassarius snails. Start off small with your cuc just like you do with fish. You can add more later as your bioload increases.

Good luck and make sure to post pics of your new additions when you get them!

#3 ·
If you have ANY ammonia or ANY nitrites showing up, then your cycle is not finished.

Feed the bacteria in your tank with some fish food or a piece of raw shrimp.
Keep feeding the bacteria until you see all the levels rise and then fall to ZERO

Any addition of livestock before then is just asking for trouble.

I personally would only add one fish at a time and I would wait about 3-4 weeks between adding fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.