The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on vacation for a week and when I got home my biocube 29 was filled with red slime. It was awful. It covered probably 80% of my rock and substrate. I had long strands of it - probably 4 - 5 inches long that spanned from my rock to the intake. This is a relatively new tank - set up 5/7/12. It currently has an emerald crab and a zoa frag. I treated it with chemiclean and turned off my skimmer. After 48 hours I did a 20% water change. When I did the water change I tried to scrub it off my rocks. ( not easy because it's hard to see when it's out of water and I couldn't scrub the largest rock because my emerald crab was hiding in it ) My nitrates are a little high 5.0 - 10. I have had trouble with the nitrates hovering just above "0" since the tank cycled.. I've removed all the bioballs in chamber 2 and replaced them with dry rock.
I get the feeling I have somehow really messed things up and I'm not too sure how to fix it.

I filled the tank with distilled water initially. (My LFS advised TAP WATER! I've gotten a lot of other poor advise from them since) I now use only RO/DI water and have been since 5/14/12.

it has:
12.5 lbs LR covered with coralline algae
10 lbs dry LR ( removed my bioballs and put about 5 lbs of this into the 2nd chamber)
biocube protein skimmer
425 gph circulation pump

* could the dry rock be the problem? The LFS told me to wash it off and put it in my tank. I scrubbed it and rinsed, and rinsed again and again. When I put it in it clouded my tank water for a couple hours.

<O:p</O:p
1 - emerald crab
1 - zoa frag

I had a coral banded shrimp and 4 hermit crabs but one day the tank got to 85 degrees and they didn't make it... I removed everything immediately.
I have only had my nitrates to 0 for a couple days. I am not feeding my crab but depending on him to eat the algea in my tank for food. I have done a ton of water changes - changing up to 80% at one time.
my temp is now kept at 80 degrees. I'll get a chiller as soon as I can afford one. I felt the RO/DI unit was more important. I don't mind the tank sitting empty till I figure all this out.
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 5.0 - 10
phosphate = 0
calcium = 460 mg/L
**PH= 8.00
<O:p>
</O:p>
Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me on my way to having a tank that I can enjoy?

·
Forever Learner
106 Posts
It sounds like your not doing to bad.

What type of lights do you have?

Keep the skimmer running it will help remove "stuff". If it was me I would do about 20% water change while trying to get as much out as you can. then keep the lights off for a few days then do a 30% water change. I would also get another power head in there to up the flow.

Stay away from big water changes. They cause really big swings in your water chemistry. The most I would try to do at one time is maybe 40% and even that seems high to me. Everything about this hobby takes lots of time. It took me 6 months to cycle my tank and about 6 months after that till my tank was really stable.

I'm by no means an expert at this. I have only been reefing for about 1.5 years now. There are so many ppl on here that will help and have more and better info then me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned off the skimmer for 24 hours as directed in the chemiclean directions.

The stock biocube bulbs:
lunar blue moon glow LED lamps (2)
actinic 03 blue compact florescent lamp
10,000 daylight compact floresent

·
Registered
86 Posts
Personally I would grab several turbo snails (3-4 minimum) they really helped me get rid of my algae issues. (They're pretty cheap about $3 /ea.) I wouldn't consider any more corals for another 4 months or so.

All to often people jump the gun on stocking new tanks. I did the same thing and lost several fish, been through some corals that didn't make it because the tank wasn't as ready as I was. My best advice is to tug on the (digital) ear of some of the seasoned vets in this forum.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Anyone idea why I can't get my nitrates to stay at zero when there's really nothing in the tank?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe it will fluctuate until its completely cycled and then you risk going through small cycles when you add more rock, livestock, etc. I just added some rock in my 55 and my nitrates shot up to 10 ppm. My 29 gal jumped higher to 40 ppm when I added new rock but then again I'm not running a sump on the 29g. (just HOB filter). It'll settle and return to normal with consistent water changes and dosing. If you're just 2 months in and have the stats / levels that you posted earlier then you're doing fine. Just keep it up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put about 4 - 5 lbs of rock into chamber 2 and removed the bioballs.

Do you know if this is a good or bad idea?

Do I need to clean it out when I do my water changes?

I watched my tank cycle with just LR before I put my emerald crab and coral shrimp in it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't clean my fuge too often because its hard to use the hose cleaning tool. However I try to do it when I can with the fish net. I recently cleaned debris out of my third baffle to put my new skimmer in. I posted pics in my album, their kinda old but still a decent representation of what I have. I've heard of other people cleaning their sump / fuge as well. Also, I just started my 'pod population in my fuge so I probably won't be doing as much cleaning of it.

·
Slow and Steady
573 Posts
Personally I would grab several turbo snails (3-4 minimum) they really helped me get rid of my algae issues. (They're pretty cheap about $3 /ea.) I wouldn't consider any more corals for another 4 months or so.

All to often people jump the gun on stocking new tanks. I did the same thing and lost several fish, been through some corals that didn't make it because the tank wasn't as ready as I was. My best advice is to tug on the (digital) ear of some of the seasoned vets in this forum.

I wouldn't get turbos for a 29g, they can get massive, once you have the algae under control they'd starve to death, heck even one turbo in a tank that big might starve to death if it's kept low nutrient without some sort of supplemental food to eat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Granted but if he has an algae issue they can get it under control then he can give all but one back to the LFS. I have a one turbo in my 29 and he's thriving. It's what I've found that worked really well.

That's just my opinion...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tank probably won't need more than 2 or three to take care of the algae problem quickly or 1 for a little longer period of time but I've tried various algae eating / terminating solutions and the turbos worked in my small tank. In my bigger (55g) tank I have 2 turbos and a LM Blenny and that works to keep any outbreaks under control.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will go get 1 turbo snail tomorrow - I've heard of them starving. Since I used the chemiclean no new red algea has appearred. I do have what looks like 1/4" high moss (???) I've had green hair algae and it doesn't look like that. I used the chemiclean Monday and did the water change Wednesday as directed. Today is Saturday and it looks pretty good ( minus the moss). Feeling a little more confident now. I appreciate the feed back. Any idea what the green moss is?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Only thing I can think of is the green hair algae. I use chemi-pure elite in both of my tanks they last about 4 months. It says 4-6 months but for a reef style setup I don't go more than 4.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe I can and it sounds like great stuff. Will pick it up when I pick up my turbo snail. Will my snail have anything to eat then?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't see why not... Chemi-pure is a filter bag that you put in your sump or filter as part of your filtration system. Chemi-clean is put in the tank to help get rid of algae. I haven't used chemi-clean but I have used another "red slime" reducer before with no issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's good to hear. I keep at least 1 in all my (2) tanks... I even have one in my fuge. I couldn't really tell the effect they were having at first then one day my large red (algae covered) rock wasn't red anymore...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts