The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently just purchased a 90 gallon tank, planning to have a live rock and fish only tank. When I purchased the tank, the manager said I would need no skimmer to go with the sump/pump, and also not need conditioner for the water as the sand and salt would take care it. However this seems to go against what I have read, if you have any input on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Well, a skimmer will help. It is one of those thing that "technically" do not need, but is so useful that the benefit almost make it a requirement. Kinda like an air conditioner in Florida... sure, you can survive in the Fla without AC but it is much better with it.

For your system, if the sump has enough skimmer space, the best skimmer for the price is the Reef Octopus NWB-150. I think it will be perfect for your tank.
I recommend these guys: http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-OCT-NWB-150.html

As far as the water conditioner, it depends on the region and the amount of chlorine in the tap water. Although this is a fish-only system, I would recommend picking up a RO/DI filter to use. This will make life a lot easier and keep algae under control.

The best kept RO/DI secret is the Sprectrapure refurbished unit. This unit was in better condition than my new-off-the-shelf unit.

available here: http://www.spectrapure.com/St_RODI-REFURB.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you FutureDoc, I think I am going to order that skimmer as it should fit. I am still worried about the water because I already put the water/salt mix in the tank. The RO/DI could be something I would get in the near future, but could I use a conditioner for the time being?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Without knowing exactly the quality of your tap water I would have to say yes use some conditioner. I am sure you dont want to dump all of the water out and start over. The reason for ro/di water is not just chlorine but also for phosphates in the water which will cause algae to grow.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would add the skimmer now. Mine has been running since I put water in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, Got the skimmer and conditioner today. I don't quite get where the water level is supposed to be. The instructions say, "The water level inside the skimmer should be an inch above where the neck transition starts for the initial setup." So is that where the top of the silencer for the air intake is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts