The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I want to start a reef tank-duh, so I just purchased a 12 gal nanocube.I thought someone would want to share some wisdom/advise/expertise on getting started. Any advise is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good question! I know there wont be alot of room in there, and I'd like a couple of fish too. That's one of the things I was looking for advise on. I'm trying to read up on it as much as I can, but it's alot to take in at once!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to type fast-baby waking up!
Yes, 20lbs of live pacific black sand. That's it besides supllies!
I assumed i would have to let it run for awhile before i added live rock?
(help!)

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Welcome to TRT - yes, you want to set up every thing, maybe add a tiny piece of Live Rock and let it run....and run...and run! If you can, buy some test kits to check your water's progress - ammonia, nitrate/nitrite, pH and a salinity meter to check salinity. I have a 12-gallon nanocube too but the biggest issue I have had is with temperature - it heats up a lot if I have the lights on six or more hours - so I lift the little "feeding lid" and it seems to help.

Good luck!
HHC

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot! How long should I let it run?
Also, do you leave the lid up all day?
In initial set-up, how much water goes in?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
first off get your self a nice skimmer...im thinking either a coralife super skimmer or a aqua c remora. You may also want to get one or two powerheads for some flow. Get your live rock now and add it to the tank this will help cycle it. Thats pretty much all you need, oh and be sure you get test kits because without them you wont know when your cycle is done. patience is a big key in reefing, if you dont have patience nothing is gonna get done, did i mention this is the hardest part of reefing as well. Thats pretty much it, lighting you will need depending on what you plan on keeping. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I would get live rock right away thats what is going to start the cycling process.
There really is no good skimmer for the nano cubes you will have to rely on good maintence and frequent water changes to maintain water quality

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tim224DT said:
Welcome to TRT!!

Take your time nothing happens fast in a reef tank.

Tim
patience, patience, patience.
I would also go ahead and get your live rock to help it cycle. it's going to be at least a month or two before you can add anything.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody! That's alot of help. Hopefully we can get the tank set up this weekend with the sand and rock. I do have one more question (for now)- Do I keep the lights on while I'm letting it "cycle"?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Sophie's mom said:
Thanks everybody! That's alot of help. Hopefully we can get the tank set up this weekend with the sand and rock. I do have one more question (for now)- Do I keep the lights on while I'm letting it "cycle"?

That is really up to you ! Opinion on here tends to run 50/50 for lights on or off

I prefer lights on myself

·
Registered
363 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to the Obsession!!!
Three rules for you:
1. Take your time
2. Ask lots of questions
3. Post lots of pictures:thumbup:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I dont have a skimmer in my 12 or my 24 that is more for larger tanks. Do keep up with weekly water changes. If your just setting up go ahead and get whatever live rock you want so you dont recycle later. I waited about 2 weeks and added small cleanup crew. Personally I love turbo's (snails)they will wipe out algae fast. Cleaner crabs are good too.

If no one mentioned it get ro/di water(wal-mart) or at least purified we dont recommend tap water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
jenajet said:
If no one mentioned it get ro/di water(wal-mart) or at least purified we dont recommend tap water.
Yep, i forgot, i highly recommend you don't use tap water. It has elements and nutrients that algea(like hair algea) feed off of. RO/Di water doesn't contain these elements/nutrients.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could just turn the back of the Nano into a Fuge. I havent had to do a water change since, just keep harvesting chaeto.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
It's a refugium. Putting in live rock rubble in the back compartments instead of filter media. I personally dont so not sure the process of doing one. My walmart doesnt have ro/di water unit either I just get the purified gallons of water and use that. Havn't had a problem yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts