The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to make a 29 gallon reef tank with starter corals in it. I already have a compact fluorescent light to fit it.

1) If I just change out the bulb to maybe a 10K and a actinic will this be enough light for beginner corals? I possibly have room for another standard fluorenscent strip in front of the compact.

2) What kind of filter works best on this size of a tank? I don't have room for a sump or anything too crazy.

3) How exactly do powerheads work? Do most people have them hooked up to undergravel filters or do people just let them run with a screen over the intake for cirrculation purposes?

4) I live in montana and the summers get hot. My cichlid tank got up to 85ish last summer. Is this going to be a problem?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
671 Posts
1) sorry no answer

2)hang on skimmer with plenty of live rock 40 LB or so

3) two power heads with sponge filters on them

4) try a small fan blowing across the top of the water (or a chiller big $)

I'm fairly new so don't trust my advice. This is just what I would do.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Going to make a 29 gallon reef tank with starter corals in it. I already have a compact fluorescent light to fit it.

1) If I just change out the bulb to maybe a 10K and a actinic will this be enough light for beginner corals? I possibly have room for another standard fluorenscent strip in front of the compact.
how many watts is the light fixture? i would not even bother with actinics, i would just stick with all 10K's that way you have a decent chance of keeping corals. actinics do not really supply any light for the corals, they are only for your benefit.

2) What kind of filter works best on this size of a tank? I don't have room for a sump or anything too crazy.
a skimmer is the only mechanical filter you will need.

3) How exactly do powerheads work? Do most people have them hooked up to undergravel filters or do people just let them run with a screen over the intake for cirrculation purposes?
do not use an undergravel filter on a reef tank. it will really cause problems in a SW system.

4) I live in montana and the summers get hot. My cichlid tank got up to 85ish last summer. Is this going to be a problem?

Any help would be great!
that will be a huge problem. when temps get that high in a SW system the metabolism of bacteria in the tank goes bonkers and will really mess up the bio filtration of the tank. this can cause massive die offs. :(

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts