The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting really confused when it comes to sw tanks...about 6 months ago i started a 29gal tank...everything seemed to be doing fine...after about 5 months i added a anenome to the tank...a few weeks later i added a fire shrimp and a royal gramma...i have had 3 damsels and 2 clownfish after a month of the tank being set up...when i added the royal gramma it took about 4 days and then it died...i ran some tests and found out my ph was extremely low...i have a few questions and i keep getting different answers from the fish experts...
1 - i have 2- 10,000K daytime lgihts and 2 420nm blue actnics...are these enough for my anenome to grow and survive?
2 - i have a carbon filter system set up on the canopy as well as a powerhead...is this sufficient filtration?

any help would be appreciated thnx

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
abong said:
i am getting really confused when it comes to sw tanks...about 6 months ago i started a 29gal tank...everything seemed to be doing fine...after about 5 months i added a anenome to the tank...a few weeks later i added a fire shrimp and a royal gramma...i have had 3 damsels and 2 clownfish after a month of the tank being set up...when i added the royal gramma it took about 4 days and then it died...i ran some tests and found out my ph was extremely low...i have a few questions and i keep getting different answers from the fish experts...
1 - i have 2- 10,000K daytime lgihts and 2 420nm blue actnics...are these enough for my anenome to grow and survive?
2 - i have a carbon filter system set up on the canopy as well as a powerhead...is this sufficient filtration?

any help would be appreciated thnx
Your lighting seems fine for what you want to keep. I do have a couple questions for you first

Do you have any live rock?
What do you use for Top off water? IO or Tap?
do you add suppliments?
How often do you do water changes?
How low was your PH when you tested it?

I hate to give you the third degree, but in order to give you a good solid answer, we will need more information.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats alright...i have 25 pounds of live rock and i was using distilled water because i didnt know how much dechlorinizer to use for tap water...i wasnt using any supplements...i now use ph buffer...i did water changes every month roughly 25% of the water....and lastly the ph was below 7.8...everything else seemed fine so i didnt think twice b4 adding another fish...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
LR itself will control the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. the skimmers main job is to remove detritus which can lead to phosphate problems. phosphates lead to algae problems.

it is possible to run a SW system without a skimmer, but regular water changes are a must! every week minimum with heavy siphoning of detritus.

you can prolly get away without a skimmer for about 6 months when a tank and you have a decent depthed SB. go any longer than that without heavey siphoning during regular water changes and you will start to see a large algae/cyano bloom.

if you start seeing nitrates popping up, than i would suggest removing your carbon filter. if it has anything else in there besides carbon, i would remove these extras. these include any mechanical media, floss, bioballs, anything like that. these can cause an elevation in nitrate levels as they fill with detritus.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
detritus is that grey fluffy stuff that builds up on the LR and on the SB in some places. it is pretty much anything that is not sand.

when siphoning for water changes remove this detritus. if not than the phosphates in the detritus will be absorbed into the SB. it will eventually fill up like a sponge and start releasing it back into the water column, creating algae problems.

if you bioload is matched to the amount of LR in the system than nitrates will not be a problem. phosphates are what i am trying to help you get control of. :D

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
You might want to consider getting a protein skimmer and just using live rock to filter the water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts