The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I have never had a saltwater tank before and am planning on setting one up in the upcoming months. (I am finishing my basement and am waiting until it is done before setting up a tank). I have been coming to this site for the last few weeks and I have to admit I'm becoming a little intimidated by the complexity of a reef tank. (which is what I want to set up). My friend has a 125 gallon reef that he has had going for about 2 years now, so I have a little help. I have a 55 gallon bow front tank that my parents used for freshwater fish but that's all I really have right now. I don't want to ask too many "What Do I Need" questions right now, but, if anyone wants to offer any suggestions/opinions on what equipment to start with Feel free to enlighten me. What I would like to know is if there is any good literature out that I could check out before starting my first saltwater tank? I would like to learn as much as possible before I start to buy anything. I looked at a few books on Amazon.com but when I looked at the readers reviews they were pretty mixed so I thought I would check here.
Thanks Brad :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Tropical said:
Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I have never had a saltwater tank before and am planning on setting one up in the upcoming months. (I am finishing my basement and am waiting until it is done before setting up a tank). I have been coming to this site for the last few weeks and I have to admit I'm becoming a little intimidated by the complexity of a reef tank. (which is what I want to set up). My friend has a 125 gallon reef that he has had going for about 2 years now, so I have a little help. I have a 55 gallon bow front tank that my parents used for freshwater fish but that's all I really have right now. I don't want to ask too many "What Do I Need" questions right now, but, what I would like to know is if there is any good literature that I could check out before starting my first saltwater tank? I would like to learn as much as possible before I start to buy anything. I looked at a few books on Amazon.com but when I looked at the readers reviews they were pretty mixed so I thought I would check here.
Thanks Brad
If anyone has any suggestions/opinion on what equipment to start with Feel free to enlighten me. :)
I think that one of the first things you should do is think of what type of corals you want to keep. This will better determine what type of equipment you will need, and how your setup should be structured.

By the way, welcome to TRT!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Brad Welcome to TRT
Im not much good on the books but I would recommend to you right off is to get a good ro/di water filter for your basement as soon as you can to provide nice clean reef water for you to use.:wavey:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to TRT. I'm a newbie too-a couple of weeks in!
When I was trying to learn about it, I bought this book called The Simple guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums by Jeff Kurtz. I found it at PetSmart. It's easy to understand and I found it pretty helpful. It has pretty much all the basics about set-up, and info on corals.
Honestly though, I've found that the advice from most of these guys here in TRT is more abundant and sometimes it makes more sense. Plus, you can't ask a book questions. It says what it says. Period.
I was recommended another book called The Marine Aquarium Handbook, but I didn't get it yet.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I agree with casey, the RO/DI setup would be good to do now. in addition make sure you set up the wiring and plugs for where you want the tank. you are going to want a higher amperage arc fault breaker (preferrably a dedicated circut) and GFCI plugs in the area. i would look at a 20-30 amp line to the tank area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend with the 125 Gallon reef is getting a RO/DI setup soon. He just moved in a few blocks from my house and is in the process of re-starting his tank. I think I'll be able to get by at first with his RO/DI setup. This will save me some money on my initial start up. Thanks for the tip on the books I'll check them out. I never even thought about the electrical work involed, there is an outlet where I plan on putting the tank though.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Tropical said:
My friend with the 125 Gallon reef is getting a RO/DI setup soon. He just moved in a few blocks from my house and is in the process of re-starting his tank. I think I'll be able to get by at first with his RO/DI setup. This will save me some money on my initial start up. Thanks for the tip on the books I'll check them out. I never even thought about the electrical work involed, there is an outlet where I plan on putting the tank though.
Not really you need your own top water has to be added daily

·
Registered
82 Posts
You could empty a gallon jug and keep it filled from your friend's filter for top offs at the moment. At least until you can get yours set up. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Tropical said:
I Guess I'll look some up then, sounds like its a necessity.
Yes it is you dont want to have to be bugn your friend every day for his precious $$$ water you need to have your own for fill up and top off and water changes:)

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Hi Tropical Welcome to TRT!
Another good book is Aquarium Corals by E. Borneman it includes pretty good info on the types of corals and also different set ups
The contentious Marine Aquarist By B. Fenner is another great read.
Where in Illinois are you from?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lugging water around is not fun, but hey I do it. I do not have a RO/DI unit yet so I have to lug. You can get by with filling around 10 gallons a week of water from your friend. If he is only a couple blocks then it is not bad. That way you can put that money towards some of the other important pieces of equipment that you will need. Let me just tell you though, lugging water gets pretty old, especialy if you have stairs.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Dont let these guys scare you into luging water dont do it, you need the filter always,especially at first to fill the tank for cycling it is a vital piece of equipment if not the most important one you will buy (right next to a good skimmer):thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I never even thought about the electrical work involed, there is an outlet where I plan on putting the tank though.<!-- / message -->
An existing outlet on an existing branch circuit is probably not going to cut it. Run 1(if not 2) dedicated 20 amp AFCI protected circuits with GFCI plugs.

I also agree with getting an RO/DI unit. It's well worth the hundred bucks or so.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Oh sorry! Where are my manners?? WELCOME TO TRT!!! :dance:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Casey said:
Dont let these guys scare you into luging water dont do it, you need the filter always,especially at first to fill the tank for cycling it is a vital piece of equipment if not the most important one you will buy (right next to a good skimmer):thumbup:
This is where I think that we might have to differ. Having your own water source is a great thing, but it can be pricey. I have no problem lugging the water around if it means that I can get something else that I need, and not lose out at all.
I will admit that it sucks lugging water, but sometimes you just have to do it.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
BGJ223 said:
This is where I think that we might have to differ. Having your own water source is a great thing, but it can be pricey. I have no problem lugging the water around if it means that I can get something else that I need, and not lose out at all.
I will admit that it sucks lugging water, but sometimes you just have to do it.
Thats what this site is for you can disagree and I can disagree with you and do.:funny: :beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts