The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got into the hobby last week with the purchase of a 110 gallon tank aqua c protien skimmer 40 gallon quiet system sump and t5 ballast (4x54w) with individual reflectors
my question is lighting
my aquarium is a custom built acrilic
it is 22" wide 23"deep and 51" long
(1)is this enouph lighting for basic reef aplications?
i know sps coral are probably out of the question(nor advisable for such a newbie)
however i do want a anemonie and leather corals
(2) the ballast (accustart 5) is rated for 54w t5HO lights. i have found on the web 48inch t5 80 watts lamps. this would increase my output however can i go over the recommended wattage with my bulb?
(3) i have limited space in the hood (see pic) what would be your sugestions?
the top of my aquarium is covered with a acrilic to prevent salt deposits if i change to a metal halide system will it melt my top(see pic)
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
From what I can tell in your pics you only have 4 bulbs......Definately not enough for anemones but fine for leather corals & most softies.

If your ballast says 54W you can not run 80W bulbs.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any sugestions on the lighting system that can be used for this setup
without any modification my hood is 19 by 52 by 3 inches
i have seen retro MH kits that are very low profile http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=557 is this a good choice in such an aplication or is the best thing to do is buy a 8 bulb t5 system (will 8 bulb t5 system allow me to have anemones and sps corals)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
With an 8 bulb T5HO setup you would be in gret shape for most things. Anemones and Clams could be kept if kept up high in the rocks.

The metal Halide Retros would work great in your canopy. You would want at LEAST the 250W setup X 2. 2X 400W would be the best and I can't think of anything you could not keep then. :) You could keep your current T5's and use them for actinics. I have 4 T5 Actinics with 2 X 250W MH in the canopy of my 120G. Looks great.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,665 Posts
1st Welcome to TRT!If you get as many T-5 x 48" that would work.Also I think you need the remora Pro C at the least ,the reg. is to small for your tank.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If that 3 inches is the height of the canopy I doubt MH with fit.
Yikes, I missed that! Thank you for pointing that out!

He is correct! If your canopy is only that tall, MH is not an option. :( Load it with as many T5HO's as will fit.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Many people swear by the T-5s. I have seen mixed results at one LFS. I think with high placement and good water quality you can keep some high light coral, but start slow first. Anenomes are iffy cause they like to move but once they find a spot they will stay usually.
I agree, get a stronger skimmer, that is a very important piece of equipment, arguably the most important. Dont skimp and remember that most manufacturers over rate the skimmers they make. Get one rated well over the volume you will have.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks i think i can fit 8 maybe 9 t5's in there if im good.
the website i posted had retro MH kits that were only 2inches tall would these work? http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18529&cat=557&page=1 or is there another reason why MH wont work?

my aqua c protien skimmer is model ev240 it is rated for a 250g tank
mine is only 150g with sump is this enouph?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Those lights, that 2" is just the size of the total fixture. MH put out alot of heat. The light would be on the water and right against the canopy. I would stick with the T-5s but maybe someone will chime in that has tried them with small clearances. But I wouldnt suggest it for safety.
If you really want MH then you would have to make a new canopy IMO.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The MH Retro kit would fit but be way to close to the surface causing many different problems.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Can I chime in I'm really confused on the light thing and estimating it all. I"m setting up a 265 and I have an icecap 660 which I plan to run 2 actinic white fr59t12/vho's and 2 super actinic r fr59t12/vho's. I also bought a MH Falcon retrofit kit today (400w kit) to use for my BTA. With this setup what am I limited to?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok it looks like i will be making some modification to my hood. i am a stickler for details and i am not going to settle for mediocre lighting (go 100% or not at all) how much clerance is recomended for MH use?
My LFS yesturday told me that with MH and a acrilic cover that i need some distance to prevent the acrilic from turning yellow. Is this true?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts