The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 55 gal tank with two 96 watt pc bulbs and two 40 watt floresent bulbs and was wondering what type of corals beside mushrooms i could
keep ?
60 pds live sand
5o pds live rock
10 gal wetdry filter with bio balls 400 gph pump
1 powerhead
tanks been up since xmas

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
You might be able to get away with keeping some LPS (torches/hammers/frogspawns, brains, etc.) if they are placed in the top half of the tank, directly under the PC's.

As for softies you have leathers, rics, zoos (zoanthids), along with a few others.

Welcome to TRT!! :wavey:

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
You can try pulsing xenia, it's not too picky on light/flow - - and of course any type of zooanthids (button polyps, etc.) - they are pretty easy to grow without metal halide lighting.

HHC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help no pics of tank yet as far the bioballs i just need to whatch the nitrates levels ?

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
The nitrates will eventually come down but sometimes never go away completely - still, your tank is too new to add any corals or polyps in my opinion. Do you have any fish in the tank yet? Start slowly, it's hard I know, but patience is a virtue in this hobby especially. There is great advice and information on the reef forums here, and this is a good link for general information:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/sh...46&postcount=2

All the best
HHC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have severel crabs and snails 2 clarki clowns,1 lawnmower blennie,1 cleaner shrimp,and a few mushroom corals mushroom are starting spread and so cool

·
Registered
2 Posts
tims said:
you will need to get the bio balls out when you can. just remove slowly until gone.
the LR in the tank will be your main filter ( along with the skimmer)
Hello,
I'm a beginner and planning my first salt water tank. Can you tell me why he needs to get the bio balls out? I would have thought the more bio filtration, the better.

Thanks, Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts