The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first tank ever. Its an Oceanic Biocube 14 gallon. It was already setup by the local shop I got it from for about 2 months. I have probably 18 lbs of live rock including what I have in there to replace the filter. Still using the bio balls in the middle, but thinking of replacing with live rock rubble as suggested here.They have told me a lot, some of which is conflicted with advice on the forum here. My set up has:

Two clownfish, a number of hermits and snails and a camel shrimp (I know I know, Local shop said it wouldnt be a problem, but then it pulled a hermit out of its shell and ate it. they agreed to take it back) And I have a live rock rubble and shell bottom. Also have one fire tip coral.

Questions:

1. They said I didnt need a heater with such a small tank but my temps are in the 75 range during the day and 72 when I wake up. So I need to add one asap. What so you guys suggest? I would like to put it in the filter chamber with the live rock (Chamber one). What about a skimmer? Setup seems to do a good job so far (Only 3 days since last water change) So I need it? And if so does it fit in the filter area?

2. I would like to replace the camel with a couple of cleaner shrimp. Any problems with this?

3. Feeding. Local shop said once every couple of days, just a pinch of pellets and some krill. I have read conflicting opinions on feeding so whats yours?

4. Would it be beneficial to get one of the sand sifting gobies even though I dont have sand?

5. What else cool could I add? Maybe one other fish?

6. For my fire tip coral, does it matter where I put it? Right now its toward the fron of the tank on the bottom so we can see it good.

7. During cleaning/water change do I remove everything, just the clowns, or what?

8. What water should I use to replenish after change? Can I mix it in my bucket and lid it for several days before I change water?

sorry for the length. Any other tips appreciated.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Just got my first tank ever. Its an Oceanic Biocube 14 gallon. It was already setup by the local shop I got it from for about 2 months. I have probably 18 lbs of live rock including what I have in there to replace the filter. Still using the bio balls in the middle, but thinking of replacing with live rock rubble as suggested here.They have told me a lot, some of which is conflicted with advice on the forum here. My set up has:

Two clownfish, a number of hermits and snails and a camel shrimp (I know I know, Local shop said it wouldnt be a problem, but then it pulled a hermit out of its shell and ate it. they agreed to take it back) And I have a live rock rubble and shell bottom. Also have one fire tip coral.

Questions:

1. They said I didnt need a heater with such a small tank but my temps are in the 75 range during the day and 72 when I wake up. So I need to add one asap. What so you guys suggest? I would like to put it in the filter chamber with the live rock (Chamber one). What about a skimmer? Setup seems to do a good job so far (Only 3 days since last water change) So I need it? And if so does it fit in the filter area?

2. I would like to replace the camel with a couple of cleaner shrimp. Any problems with this?

3. Feeding. Local shop said once every couple of days, just a pinch of pellets and some krill. I have read conflicting opinions on feeding so whats yours?

4. Would it be beneficial to get one of the sand sifting gobies even though I dont have sand?

5. What else cool could I add? Maybe one other fish?

6. For my fire tip coral, does it matter where I put it? Right now its toward the fron of the tank on the bottom so we can see it good.

7. During cleaning/water change do I remove everything, just the clowns, or what?

8. What water should I use to replenish after change? Can I mix it in my bucket and lid it for several days before I change water?

sorry for the length. Any other tips appreciated.
yeah ya need a heater. you won't need a big on though. I like the titanium heaters with external thermostat and temp control
2 yeah the camel needs to go. I love the skunk cleaners
3I don't like pellet food. I'm a fan of "Rods Food"
4if you don't have sand to sift most of the sand sifting gobies will die
5I'm not sure I would put another fish in that tank
6not sure what a fire tip coral is
7no don't take anything out during water change. You only need to do about 10 percent of the water weekly
8after it's mixed yeah it can be stored as long as it's out of the light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help.

One more thing, what about the light cycle? I get conflicted advice on this one as well. Oceanic says more than 8-9 hours of daylight will promote algae growth and to have the low level light on 1.5 hours before daylight comes on and after daylight goes off. At night I run the moon LEDs.

Should I have more daylight or what?

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I let my corals and algae growth decide on my light cycle. My corals come first though. You will get very conflicting info on this. My tanks run about 11 hrs per day. As long as you keep up with your water changes, syphon the waste out when you do changes you should be ok. Also you should be using ro/di water. it really helps with the algae.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
Personally I don't think you need a skimmer on a tank this size. That's just my opinion. If you keep up with your water changes and don't overfeed you should be good. A small tank is easier to keep clean IMO

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
yes i would agree wit love on this one ... that tank is a little small to be having so much of a bio-load so fast...i have a 10 gal and do a 20 % water change every 5days....i do not run a skimmer...and u sholdnt need to as long as u stick to a routine schedule of water changes and make sure not to over feed...i run my lights about 10 -10 1/2 hours a day to try to keep it as close to real life as possible .... when the light is at its brightest of course...not including dawn n dusk....the cleaner shimp u shold only need one of in this tank im assuming ur talkn abotu the scarlet skunk ... get rid of the bio ballls in the chanmber and replace with rubble rock ... and the sand sifting gobie is a no go for cc or anythign larger ... ur better off with a lown mower blenny...but for sure get a small but efficient heater for that tank make sure u get one wit enough watts so tha it dos not burn it self out ... 15-25 should do for such a little tank...what kind of lights are u running compacts? or MH ?that will tell u what and how much light u will need for this tank ,.. again yes use RO (reverse osmosis) to do your water changes and with that many fish and shrimp i would do a tad bit more then 10%just to ensuer ur dotn get to much garbage in ur system...pick up a couple turbo snails and for soemthing neat get an emerald crab or a coral bandid ... i have heard smaller nanos are not suitible for coral bandid and that even the scarlet cleaners might get into it with eachother but i have not seen it yet...and to feed...personally i just go with instant ocean flake food...m shrimp and crab love it !!! they go nuts when it hits the water...he krill and what not will get sucked into ur filter and can cause waist levels to rise if u dont keep upon filter changes and always putting new carbon into the flter isnt always good it takes alot of essential nutriendts out of the water...and about ur coral ... try a few different places look him up on google and something will tell u if he's a low light or high ligth coral what water paramaters he likes and everything ... but move him around and leave him where he seems to look the best (look wise not for u to see he will grow for u to see him ) wherever he thrives thats where your going to wanna keep him because it measn hes happy...make a couple moves and let him sit a couple days in a few diff spots he will let u know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts