The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to set up my first saltwater tank. I've done quite a bit of research and have read in a few places that tank depth is a bigger factor to consider for lighting than the watts/gallon ratio. I'm looking to set up more of a shallow tank, either 13" or 17", my question was if the 4" difference is going to make that big of a difference in determining the lighting I would need. I have an overall vision to have some live rock, some beginner corals, and either clown fish or dart fish. I'll be building my stand and hood and everything and was looking into doing a retro fit with T-5 Bulbs. The kit i'm looking at is at drsfosterssmith.com and is a 2x54 watt, and I was thinking about doing 2 of those, which I figured would provide ample lighting for either tank height (The biggest tank I am considering is 50 gallons, not including the sump).

I'm still in the planning stages of everything, and wouldn't be starting until May or so, but I'm just trying to get a plan set. I want to do a smaller tank because it's sort of a 'trial' run with saltwater, I've been keeping freshwater fish for awhile now (mostly cichlids) but would love to try my hand at saltwater.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yes, that 4" does make a whole lot of difference when it comes to lighting. A 4 bulb T5 unit will be adequate at that depth for SPS or clams more than likely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts