The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a setup from craigslist. It is a 55 gallon tank it is drilled through the bottom and has 2 hoses. Also it came with a Berlin prtein skimmer 2 pumps and a marineland tidepool 2 wet/dry system. My problem is that I have no idea on how this should be cofigured underneath in the stand also it has 3 trays for media what type should I use and what order should it be in. Just waiting for my light, heater, sand, and other stuff before a actually put water but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
a reef tank is classified by having corals in it. F(ish)O(nly)W(ith)L(ive)R(ock) (FOWLR) is having a tank with Just live rock and fish, as the name suggests. Also, depending on what type of reef you go with, Lighting is a key difference (and generally a much more expencive one).

Ok for starters, If you are going to have live rock in the tank, you can get rid of the wet dry system. All they do is trap detritus (decaying organic matter, like fish poo) and release phosphates into the water. Which leads to unwanted algae.

secondly, Im not sure how much sand you have, but I would not do more than 2 inches in depth of the sand bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts