The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I was wondering if you could help me out.

I am thinking about getting a clam. I obviously dont want to buy one of these great animals if I can't keep it. I have a 55 gallon tank with basic flourescent lighting. I am buying a portien skimmer. Since I don't have the lighting capaccity yet I would love suggestions on what lighting I would need. I am thinking about getting corals as well. Does anyone have any good coral clam combinations that they could gve me. Also for the money what is a good clam that will saty relativly small (5-9) inches that has great coloration (preferably blue or green).
Also how should i go about feeding a Clam. These are really cool animals and if I get one I want to keep it as happy as possible, so please help me.

Thank You All So Much

Alex Green

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
For the type of clams that you are referring to I would go with a maxima or croacia, and you will need a minimum of 2 250W MH even better get DE bulbs. Put the clams in the upper half of the tank to maintain their bright coloration. If you get clams larger than 2.5 to 3 inches they do not need to be fed. I would use a good phytoplankton anyways. I use a combination of DT's and cyclopeze and have always had good results. If you get adequite lighting for these clams you will be able to keep just about anything else, but you mat want to stick to SPS and maybe some LPS because they have the most similar lighting requirements to the clams you want to keep.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the advice.I was online researching the maxima clams during computer applications class in school today and the maxima ultra grade clams looked absolutly awesome on the Drs Foster and Smith website. Also how much woiuld the lighting run for this setup. I am a 14 year old on a budget so I need to know the things way in advance. Thanks for all of your help, and I hope to be joinging the Clam keeping communit very soon.

THanks Alex

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allright thanks I should have enough money for that lighting system in about 3 weeks. I already have 230 in the bank, just waiting to get paid. Also is there any chance that any storebought LR could carry in any of these guys. Someone was saying that one just seemed to come out of nowere on his life rock.

·
Nano reefer and Jeeper
784 Posts
Well, I would doubt it for a tridacnid clam coming out of some LR, but it is POSSIBLE... Anyway, I have kept croceas under both PC and HQI metal halide...I would DEFINITELY lean toward the HQI metal halides...you'll be able to keep more clams, deeper in the tank, with brighter color. 55 gallon tanks are harder to aquascape for a good reef, but if you're creative, you can do it. You might want to consider how you're going to aquascape the tank to give some clams a nice spot to rest (the 55 gallons are very tall and thin, not easy to build a sloping reef structure in. In general, clams need a stable tank that is through most of its cycling. You COULD go with one 250 watt HQI, with supplemental Actinics, but two 150 watt HQI with PC actinics would be a killer setup for your tank. Those run about $500 without doing any DIY yourself. One 250 watt HQI reefstar Hamilton pendant in the middle of the tank would give you tons of light in the center, and probably be enough for soft corals on the end....but usually one pendant can only be stretched to a 3' diameter. Anyway, I hope my rambling helps.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey Alex, nice to meet you, lets here it for young reefers, lol. I was 14 when I started into reefs, I'm currently 17. Good luck with everything. Two 150watt DE's would be pretty amazing...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
R&R said:
What types of clams would do well under 50/50 lighting???
R & R
By 50/50 lighting I assume you are talking about PC or VHO lighting. Depending on how many watts and what the depth of the tank is you can easily keep Derasa's and if enough light and placed high in the tank possibly a croacia. Maxima's in my opinion are out unless under MH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purhased my first clam today from my LFS (Imagine Ocean, Canton GA). It is a Blue Lipped Derasa. It's awesome! I have the Orbit model 1024 fixture (48" - 2x65 Watt dual daylight 6,700K/10,00K and dual actinic 2x65 Watt 420nm/460nm). The clam is happy perched on top of the live Marshall Island rock. I enjoy watching it - an amazing creature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts