The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I started loving keeping fish since I was a child. I had goldfish to cichlids. I just started my saltwater tank about 2 years ago and I am looking to venture into reef tanks. I currently have a 72 gallon tank that has 4 damsels and 2 clownfish and 1 puffer.
As I am trying to build my new tank what are some suggestions for a newbie reef? I am in no real rush, but the lure of the colors has grabbed me! I also realize that the puffer must go. My local pet shop said I could trade him in.:dance:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Damsels must also go -- they will cause nothing but undue stress in a reef ---- JMHO

clownfish are OK

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply...any suggestion on the what reef I should start out with? When I got into saltwater I had to learn things the hard way. I threw in fish that had no business being together. needless to say I put out some serious buck I learned my lesson then.

·
Registered
637 Posts
for corals....I would start with zoos, shrooms, and some of the other soft corals. Most of them are a little easier to keep and require less lighting than the SPSs.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome.

Do you have access to live rock? If you cant find it locally, you can get it online. You'll need to cure it;however; in a seperate tank. Some people cure it themselves even if its sold as completely cured. The experts around here will help get you going in the right direction.
Oh, and......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts