The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone this is my first post. I have been lurking at this site for a couple of days and enjoyed everyones post.

I have a new 75g aga tank. I am planning to put this tank in the wall (the contractor is in the process). Any suggestion on lighting for my in wall tank (metal halide or vho or maybe both). Also I would like to establish a DSB using Old Castle Sand (South Down). Do you have any recommendation on the depth of sand I would need?

Other equipment that i have are:
MAG 9 PUMP
Sea urchin Protein Skimmer
20g AGA tank (using this for my sump)
a couple of powerjets for circulation.

Your comments and recommendation is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!

what do plan on keeping in the 75? we can give you a better idea on the lighting once we know this. but a good start that would allow you to keep just about anything would be 2-250w mH with VHO actinic supplimentation. i would suggest either iwasaki's or ushio's for the mh bulbs.

my .02,

G~

G

·
WELCOME AND AS I STATE TO ALL NEWCOMERS WE MANY NOT BE THE MOST KNOWLEGABLE BUT WERE ALOT OF FUN!!! J/K WELCOME! ENJOY YOUR STAY, TRT IS BY FAR THE BEST MSG BOARD, WE ALL LIKE TO HAVE FUN AND WE ALL LOVE THIS HOBBY, SO WE ARE HERE TO HELP!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Gargoyle,
As you are new to reef keeping you are probably going to want to start out with less "picky" corals. Mushrooms, zoo's, leathers etc, maybe even an LPS or two. Most of the corals in the LPS and Softie categories can be kept under VHO. If you eventually decide to switch over to MH lighting, you can always buy cheap MH bulbs like Iwasaki's and switch your VHO over to all supplemental actinic lighting.

As for the sandbed, a minimum of 4" is what most people shoot for. In a 75g I believe you will need 150-200 lbs. I believe a 74 has the 48" footprint right? There are lots of people here with 75g aquariums so you should have no problems getting advice.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts