The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am rather new to this hobby. (only been doing the reef side of it since January). I have previously done fish only tanks so this is a bit of a challenge at times. Slowly getting the tank populated and was told of swapping done in these clubs. I would be very interested in finding more items to put in my reef.

I dont think I have anything in my tank right now that you all dont have an abundance of however for a swap. I am currently running a 55 gal tank with a small assortment of hardy corals to get me started. I would be interested to know where you all get your supplies as well as good coral stores around the metro area, I live in Mcminnville, that could help me in this hobby.

Thank you all in advance for your input. I tell ya I have only been doing this for several months but it is very addicting. Now my challenge is finding a place in my home for a larger tank.

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
aye there are several folks who have things growing in weed proportions in their tanks. if you can get in on a couple meetings you should be able to start getting some livestock trades going.

for good coral prices and selection you should check out woody's stuff up in north east portland. he has some very nice stuff at very fair prices.

also i have gotten some good deals on stuff down at waves in lake oswego.

i have gotten some really nice stuff over at soutas. rick's prices are not low per say, but he generally has some of the better stuff available in the hobby species wise, and everything i have ever gotten from him has thrived as he is very careful what distributors he purchases stuff from. all of his fish are from non cyanide collectors, which is nice assurance when you are preparing to plunk down some dough on an expensive fish.

i havent spoken about cyanide to the other shop owners, i am sure they are all very careful about who they buy from, but i know for sure rick is extra careful from several conversations i have had with him.

try to get in touch with alice asap to see if it isnt too late to get an evite to the meeting at the end of this month. if not, we will be sure to see you at the july meeting!

ryan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have not been to woodys or soutas as of yet. Typically I have been getting my items from Upscales, Saltwater Fantasy in Salem and a couple of things from Waves. They all seem very good though.

I have found the hardest part of this hobby is figuring out where in the tank to put things so they dont interfere with the other inhabitants. Everything seems to be thriving so far, though everyday is a learning experience.

Any suggestions on good starter corals would be very much appreciated. Right now I am running VHO's so I know most of the SPS and clams are out of the question. I currently have a stalk Xenia, couple of red mushrooms, a green ricordea, a toadstool and a hammer. Figured they would be pretty hardy to start with. So far so good.

At any rate, thank you again for your help. I look forward to seeing you all at some point at a meeting and gleaming some of your vast experiences in the hobby.

·
Registered
257 Posts
k9 if you like I will bring some blue shrooms for you... I also have colt corals as well, if you like I will bring one of those... just snag a baggie of sand from your tank and we'll call it even...
kim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Wildthings, that would be cool, though the sand I have in my tank is that Caribsea Seaflor grade is that OK? It is not as fine as that oolitic stuff, I think it is 1 to 1.5 mm. If that is still Ok, How much would you like?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh just a baggie... I don't care about what kind... I am not even sure what's in the tank I will put it in, just something someone gave me (argonite) I am mostly interested in diversifying my population of stuff in the sand.... thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.