The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have started this hobby for my daughter's 5th birthday at the end of the month. The tank is in its cycle. We purchased sand and live rock from our local store and we have a ton of "pests". I went into panic mode but then talked with bulk reef supply and watched many videos and talked with different fish stores... EVERYONE'S opinion is opposite. Most say the pests are fine or even good. We do have an aptasia I want to get rid of... We have grey and red bristle worms, different types of snails, brittle starfish, starfish (asteria), worms? (super thin and almost clear), featherdusters, some other type of worm thing, spider web type stuff on the sand now, and little clearish tan termite size things....

One of the local stores said I should start over... I don't really have time... we like a lot of our stuff but don't want it to become a problem... thoughts? Trying not to panic

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
First welcome and have fun.
I will try to address these by groups.
We normally refer to extra life forms to what we bought by the term hitch hikers.
The snails. There are very few snails that cause problems, welks and pyramid snails are an exception.
The same is true for starfish most brittle stars and asteria stars are harmless.
I would imagine that things you refer to as clear termite size things are pods again most are harmless.
Bristle worms are harmless and beneficial, however there are fire worms that can cause problems. You might look for images of fire worms to make sure it is not them.
There is a type of worms called spaghetti worms that live in the sand and extend spiderweb like substance to bring in food.
Most of these hitch hikers are harmless and beneficial. I have not looked at the photos on my computer yet.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,970 Posts
Top of the morning, and WELCOME TO TRT! Other than the aptasia you already know about, I don't think there's anything I can see or heard you mention that will do you any harm. In the first months of setting up 1st time systems, it's simply amazing all the 'life' we notice clambering about in there......especially at night.

After the initial set up and 'cycling' most of us run about trying to get 'stuff' introduced into our systems to create a 'food chain' for our new inhabitants.....Y'All are just beating the rush.

Have you any thoughts yet on what direction you'll be heading in the hobby.....reef, fish only? Wish you all the best,
Hack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts