The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i HAVE A 120 GALLON TANK AND PLAN ON CYCLING WITH UNCURED ROCK BECAUSE OF THE COST. IS IT SMART OR OK TO CYCLE WITH 120LBS OF UNCURED ROCK THE FIRST TIME?

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts
Should I Cycle With Uncured Rock?
And How Many Lbs For 120 Gallon?
1#per g.

and you should cycle withg cured rock OR if you really want to save costs the best you could really do is 50% cured 50% noncured...
but i would do 100% cured.

there is no cheap or fast in this hobby

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You can buy cheep, dry, base rock to cycle the tank with. You don't need to buy any LR. After the tank has cycled, you can cherry pick LR one at a time. Like wolfe4372 suggested. It's much cheaper that way.
Here's a link to some cheap base rock. I've never purchased from them but I've heard good things from those that have.
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=59

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Why Not Start With All Uncured Rock?
If you fill a 120gl tank with uncured LR, the smell will run you out of the house.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you want to mainly use uncured LR airate the h*** out of it in your tank for a couple of weeks. Then once your levels even out do as EC says and cherry pick a few nice pieces, leave them in there another couple of weeks then you should be fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How Much Uncured Rock For A Tank Of My Size 120g, To Do The Trick? And Not Run Me Out Of The House Because Of The Smell. Thanks For All The Help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm Starting A Tank From Scratch Why Not Do It In The Tank? Is The Smell Really Going To Be That Intense. And How Much Uncured Rock Is Enough Not To Stink Up The Whole House? Fyi- 120 G Tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im Starting My Tank From Scratch Why Not Do It In The Tank? Is The Smell That Intense? How Much Uncured Rock Until The Smell Is To Much? Fyi- 120g Tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts