The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site. It seems to have a lot of activity. I have been to other sites that are kinda hot and cold. I hope this one is good.

So the real reason I'm posting is because Some of mt sps has been bleaching on me. It is a 65 gallon reef tank with a refugium. I have 2 150w 20,000K Hqi lamps and 2 65w actinic PC's. I also drip kalk very slowly all day long. The refugium lights come on when the tank lights go out. I have had the tank going for almost 2 years. Just recently some stuff started to bleach, which was odd because everything tests fine and I haven't added anything new in 6 months or more. The worst part is I lost some colonies that I had been growing from frags for well over a year. But I guess it just happens sometimes. Now I just want to know what is wrong so I can fix it. Does anyone have ant suggestions?

I tried to post some photo's but it said I couldn't because I didn't have enough posts yet. I will just have to wait until i reach 20 posts lol.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!!

How long has the bleaching been going on? Has anything different happened in the system? Perhaps adding more Kalk than you used to? What are you current calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels at? Have you changed bulbs recently?

You are not able to post a picture; however, you can attach a picture to your post. If you use the Go Advanced button and then click on Manage Attachments it will allow you to select the picture you want to attach.

Hopefully some of the sps keeping population will chime in soon with some more ideas on things for you to look at as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The first time something bleached was about 10 months ago. It was a pink stylophora, and it didn't die all the way it just bleached very slowly. So I gave it a did and cleaned a wierd scum of the bottom of it. Then I dipped it again in 2 weeks. And it was fine for a while but never grew and just never really recovered enough to live. I think I waited to long to save it. then everything was good until about 3 months ago, my green acro started bleaching slowly, so cut off a few frags. Most of the frags are O.K. but the colony died. Then just a week or 2 ago I went to work and came home and my 10" birgnest was totally white. I never had 1 go that fast. I don't want ti jinx myself but it seems only my sps are getting affected.

Calcium is 390
Alk is 2.3 milli equ.
Mag is 1280
Ph is 8.2

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Do you have the UV glass in place on the fixture/pendant. DE bulbs require UV glass unlike SE bulbs that don't.

What is your lighting schedule, how are you acclimating them to the tank lighting?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have the buv glass, mt fixture is a coralife aquapro that I added a second hqi lamp to. I got the piece of glass from them so I know it is correct. They were actually very nice and easy to deal with. As far as aclimating them it wasn't anything new that died it was all stuff I had anywhere from 6-20 months. The actinc lights turn on at 1:30 P.M. then the MH's an hour later. Then the MH's go off at 9:30 then the actinics go off an hour later. Then the refugium lights go on at night.
I have looked for bugs, but never seen any. But I really don't know anything about them. That is one issue I was hoping to get help with.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
How old are your bulbs? What about pumps and things like that? Check all of your equipment for water penetration and electrical shorts. Also check the tank with a meter for stray voltage.

Both redbugs and aefw are difficult to spot unless you know what you are looking for. Here is a good place for info and pics so you can check.

http://www.melevsreef.com/aefw.html
http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

Losing a large piece in a single day indicates that something is drastically wrong. How did the birdsnest look prior to the bleaching?

Bleaching can have a few different causes and describing exactly how it bleached would help narrow them down. Was it from the bottom up or did it start at the tips? Did the coral slowly lose color or does it look like the "skin" is peeling off the skeleton. How about polyp extension?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The birdnest looked great before it died. The tips were a nice white and the polyps were purple and always extended. It kinda died from the bottom right to the top left. And it did look like the skin was peeling off the skeleton.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe these will help, I just noticed it other day. The orange on the bottom. I just thought it was algea. But maybe it is something else.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Hard to tell but could be AEFW eggs. They are an orangish color and are laid at the base of acros like that. Do you have a magnifying glass?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked under the magnifying glass. I tried to scrape it off but it is under the glue that I used attach it. So if it is aefw I cant tell because it is under the glue. But it didn't look like little eggs, it just looked like orange algea or something. I mean there was no distinct circles it was like one mass.

What do you think caused the birdsnest to peel like that?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The eggs are very well defined so it must be something else under then glue.

Acros losing their skin like that is a bad sign. Could be electrical from a shorted pump or heater. Have you been dosing anything? I would also check all your parameters. Rapid tissue necrosis (RTN) has a few different causes but there is no exact answer for why it happens. Start with the basic water tests and work up from there.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few people have mentioned stray voltage. How would you test for that? Just stick a voltmeter in the water?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
yes, stick the black probe of the voltmeter in the grounding slot of the the receptacle and the red lead in the water.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And check the voltage in AC or DC? I know a house is AC but I think some things get converted to DC. I guess they should both be zero anyway huh.
What do you do if you get a reading? Will a ground probe solve the problem if I have one?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Yes, check for AC. If you get voltage (some stray is common and a ground probe could be used) But if you get above 10-15 volts, you have an issue. start unplugging stuff until you find out what is causing it.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Could it possibly be a phosphate issue?

Do you have any algae in the display tank? I know you have a refugium, how often have you been harvesting the algae in it? I am also wondering if you have any algae in there that goes sexual every so often and releases gametes into your system. I am not 100% sure but think that might cause problems for the sps corals as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a mix of cheatomorphia and caulerpa. I would rather just have the cheato. but its hard to get the caulerpa out without starting over. I harvest it about once a month, or maybe a little longer. Do you think I should do it more often? I do have some kind of caulerpa in my display tank but I didn't put it there. It must have been dormant on a piece of rock I bought. I try to rip it out but I can't seem to get it all. It isn't very much only about 2 or 3 inches long at a time then I rip it out. I would take the whole rock out but it has a nice piece of monti encrusting it. It looks like little lilly pads on a vine, instead of the little balls. I'm not sure what it is exactly. Here are some pics of little bugs in my refugium. I never really thought anything of them but they have been there for as long as I can remember. Maybe they are the problem?

The first pic is with no flash the second is with a flash.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts