The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first post and i really need help i have been looking all over for a good starter tank and so far the best thing that i have found with my limited knowledge on this topic is this JBJ nanocube 28g tank

i went with the LEDs because the hqi system after buying a stand would have cost me more with the expense of a chiller as well... which i have no idea if i even needed for that system.. anyways if you have a better starter tank in mind please send with link and reasoning behind it also thoughts on LEDs and effects on fish i know its great for corals but have not read much into the fish side want a reef tank with

a green mandarin goby
perculian clown
cleaner shrimp
blue damsel
and maybe another small fish still undecided

please help :)

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Welcome to TRT!! The LED nano tanks are great little tanks and the LED system is the best way to go. Keep in mind that larger tanks are more forgiving as far as water quality issues.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
Welcome to TRT! sorry but I'd say for a starter,the bigger the better.55 or bigger,that way the readings stay in check easier,making it easier to have a lot less problems and also mandarins eat a lot of pods which you could keep growing in such a small tank.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Usually the costs of starting a larger tank are higher. But in the case of the LED nano, even though they are just about a complete system I think they are still around $600 so to start the 55gallon would not be that much more. I do agree with George, if you have the room go bigger and buy the good equipment the first time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do any of you know where to look for a bigger system.... i know that a bigger sump is way more expensive and i have been reading bigger is better all over the place.. i do have a friend however who is trying to get me into saltwater tanking who has done it alot. but please anylinks or urls will be much appreciated... buying this week so trying to research all i can before i makea decision

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
If you intend to purchase a larger tank I would look for deals at any LFS. Shipping a tank can get expensive.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Then I say go for it. A small tank is better than no tank. You will just have to stay on top of things with it. Smaller tanks can get out of wack quickly.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The 28 sounds good..and no the LED lighting has not bed efffect to the fish that are in it. They stay cool and never need replacing which is a definit bonus! However if you do go for that size I would advice against the mandarin goby, as they need bigger tanks that have bigger pod populations. There are tank raised ones that were taught to take frozen or flake food, but they are hard to find and I only know of an online site that sells tank raised ones.

·
Registered
187 Posts
just keep in check with water changes on that little system. those nanos are very sleek tanks. welcome to TRT btw =-)

--make sure you let that thing cycle before adding anything to it other than the live rock (LR)

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,415 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!!

28 gallon tank is a nice size tank, get your feet wet and then later if you want you can alway go larger.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As far as fish choices, the blue damsel will have aggression issues in the future. The mandarin goby needs a constant supply of copepods or amphipods, which won't be present in a new tank, especially 28 gallons.
I'd recommend a pair of the skunk cleaner shrimp; they will interact better, and have minimal impact on the bioload.
For clownfish, I'd recommend the false percula (Amphiprion ocellaris) over the true percula (Amphiprion percula). There is less aggression, and slightly easier to care for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts