The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally converted from fish only to reef tank and had some basic questions. i will first give everyone an idea about my setup.

I have a 75 Oceanic tank with overflow and wet dry underneath. I have a simple protein skimmer in the sump that spills excess into the bio balls in the wet dry. I am not sure of brands but will create a list tonight. I am using a Rio 800 in the right lower corner to hel p with water flow. I have left my three Perculas and royal gramma in the tank. I ahve had these huys for about 4 years now.

I have added 85 lbs of Live Rock and recently added a green mushroom and purple star polyp to the tank. Both ar doing very well so far.

The current levels are as follows - Nitrite and Ammonia - 0, KH - 9, Calcium 400, Phosphate -.25, Salinity 1.28:( , Nitrate - 0, pH 8.4. I am lighting with two 175w 10,000k metal halides. It was suggested to me not to keep the glass top on anymore so I have removed it.

It is a pretty simple set up but I want to do more. I want to add Hard corals and soft corals as well as other anemones and maybe another fish or two. No real algea problems ( 5 mexicna Turbo snails and 5 red legged hermits - Should I add more of these?

Will I need a Calcium reactor - What about using a plenum or Kalk over time. The tank has a good amount of current and the chemistry has stayed very constant.
I just want to be reassured i am off to the right start.

Thanks

KJ
:)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the slinity - The measure is 30-31 which I think is around 1.21-1.22 on the specific gravity float. i probably need better testing equipment - Any suggestions?

No bio balls for reef keeping - It is better to put LR in its place in the Wet Dry?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the table above my salinity would be 34 - Thanks for the link BTW.

So no LR in the wet dry and I should slowly remove all bio balls from it - I thought it was good to maintain the biological in there?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The skimmate does not go into the bio balls - The skimmer has a hose that takes water from it to the bio balls and the skimmet goes into the trap at the top. I have never had a big problem with Nitrates but now with a reef tank I need to watch those levels because the inverts are more sensitive to it. After I take the bio balls out, do I leave that chamber empty? Or should i put a small piece of LR in there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.