The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole nano reef tank concept. I was wondering if an Eclipse 6 gallon would be sufficient or should I go for something along the lines of a JBJ? It needs to be small and efficient because I'm keeping it in my dorm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have setup a few eclipse nano tank successfully. I have used the eclipse 6 with softies and now I have a new 12 gallon eclipse with lps, sps, softies, and a clam. Of course I did a few modifications to it. Let me know if you have any specific questions with using the eclipse 6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm looking to start out with Live Rock and a couple hardy fish (clown and something else?) and later on once it is pretty stable start to add a few soft corals and such. What modifications would be needed to keep the system running nicely?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well first off if you plan on having some softies you are going to need a new light. I would suggest current-usa 40w pc. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01002
This light works great with the eclipse 6. They also make a dual 40w pc that I was thinking about getting before I upgraded to the eclipse 12.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01012
I liked using the 10k w 460actinic bulb. My friend twitterbait is using the same light that I was using, and he is still using the stock filter. I suggest though if you want more filtration to use the Haggen AquaClear backpack.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG10610
I believe I used the 50 and not the 30. It fits perfectly on the left side of the tank. That is all that I did to the eclipse and it works great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great advice. I really appreciate the help. Anyone have pics of 6g eclipse setups?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
12 gallon aquapods are good size and have adequate lighting for keeping softies. Make sure you get one that is new and not been sitting in the store. The older ones were recalled but the problem was fixed in the newer ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jenajet said:
12 gallon aquapods are good size and have adequate lighting for keeping softies. Make sure you get one that is new and not been sitting in the store. The older ones were recalled but the problem was fixed in the newer ones.
I agree with jenajet. I love my 12 gallon aquapod. Here's a picture of it

Good luck.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Well all the pics of my 12 gallon are on the pc that crashed but here is my 24 gallon aquapod.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep I agree on the aquapod. More room especially if you want fish. Nice lighting and more chambers in the back. Oh and moonlights lol.
Heres my 12 gallon aquapod.
I set it up 6 weeks ago using rock and sand from my 150 so it did'nt cycle. I added alot of corals from my 55 gallon.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Kass, is that a red and white mushroom in the bottom right side of the tank?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hehe it was actually hot pink when I got it and more pink under my T5's than in the aquapod under PC's. Still cool though.
Funny you asked cuz Jess asked in another thread what that shroom was that looks like a Petunia. I now call it my pink petunia lol.
I have 3 altogether but not selling any. I started with 2 and lost one but the remaining had a few babies.
This is what they looked like under my T5's when I was running 4 actinic and 2 daylight. I now run 3 and 3 and it's a little more reddish.

Heres a closer pict of the 1 in the pod. I'm hoping with lower flow in there they'll spread more so I can trade them.
They werent cheap lol.
They arent ricordea they're discosoma I believe.

kass

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
figures... you have a pink ric AND hot pink shrooms. i've already tried the 'oh yeah she's the really pretty and nice girl at the f&s trade'.
awesome pics!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
When I started I bought a plain ol' rectangular 10g. It was really cheap though. If you wanna spend the money (which you eventually will), id recommend going with something nicer, like the 12g eclipse. IT has a lot nicer features than anything cheap you can get. But heres a pic of my old 10g, after I moved all my softies to my larger 29g and 20g tanks I wish I Could find my old pics, it was a nice little nano. My mushrooms are growing wild, I may make another nice little nano, loaded with shrooms and xenia for the poor little clown thats in there. Anyways, here are pics, and welcome to TRT!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts