The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! I have learned a lot from reading the posts. Finally found where all the BB guys went. I have always had a DSB but am converting to to BB for my next setup which is still in the planning stages.

1) Is it beneficial to cook "new" live rock. All of the writeups I have seen shown converting to BB none talk about new setups.

2) Also, I purchased 1/2 starboard for the bottom of my future 120Gal AGA tank. Any tips on installing that I should look for before starting to make my cuts?? Is it worth doing the 45 degree bevel?

3) Is an H&S A150-F2001 enough skimmer for a BB 120? I dont want to go beckett because of power consumption so have gone with NW. Do all BB'ers skim wet?? Are there any successful BB tanks who dont always skim wet??

Looking forward to setting up my tank and learning a lot from this site!!! Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Sophie120 said:
First post! I have learned a lot from reading the posts. Finally found where all the BB guys went. I have always had a DSB but am converting to to BB for my next setup which is still in the planning stages.

1) Is it beneficial to cook "new" live rock. All of the writeups I have seen shown converting to BB none talk about new setups.
I would if not you take the chance of introducing nuisance algae, and your rock will shed for some time. Noy to say you can't be successful without doing so. I for one would not have the patience!
Sophie120 said:
2) Also, I purchased 1/2 starboard for the bottom of my future 120Gal AGA tank. Any tips on installing that I should look for before starting to make my cuts?? Is it worth doing the 45 degree bevel?
Nah just level room for the silicone on the edges. I cut mine 1/2 smaller than spec. I also siliconed my edges but most think that is a waste.
Sophie120 said:
3) Is an H&S A150-F2001 enough skimmer for a BB 120? I dont want to go beckett because of power consumption so have gone with NW. Do all BB'ers skim wet?? Are there any successful BB tanks who dont always skim wet??
Not familiar with the skimmer? Wet skimming is a staple. BB = getting stuff out before it breaks down, and that means skimming wet. The light bubbles produced by dry skimming just can't hold heavy particles

Sophie120 said:
Looking forward to setting up my tank and learning a lot from this site!!! Thanks in advance.....
You've come to the right place. Every hour of research will save you $100 IME

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup do your self a favor and cook the rock.When i first went BB i did not cook my rocks and they had been in my old DSB for 3-4 years or so.talk about trouble.Just when i was about to give up, a local reefer had to break down his tank that had pretty freshly cooked rock, and its been smooth sailing ever since.Going on alittle over a yr now

·
Registered
115 Posts
make yourself a cardboard cutout first for the starboard. Don't forget to factor in the top frame - it is usually smaller with the lip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts