The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ARC,
I'm new to the ATL area, and wanted to meet some fellow Reefers with whom I can ask questions, trade/purchase frags/equipement from, etc. I also wanted to find out about Meeting times, if there are such things, etc. Anyone who knows I look foward to finding out more about the club. Thanks

P.S.-Why did you guys move from RC, it took me forever to find you guys.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Welcome to the ARC forum. You can find out about meetings at www.atlantareefclub.org. We meet the second Tuesday of every month. The next meeting is at Aquarium Showcase in Alpharetta. Come down, we would love to meet you. Meetings are always free to anyone....but membership has its priviledges.

We moved from RC for several reasons, but one main reason was our forum here has multiple levels...we have a general ARC forum, a members only section, and a BOD forum. The members only forum are only viewable by members of ARC and the BOD forum is viewable by BOD members. This gave us a lot of things that RC could not for us....plus the atmosphere here at TRT is very very nice.....sit back and sit a spell. :D

Welcome To TRT and ARC!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Andy,
I would love to be able to come to the meeting next tuesday I will have to make sure I don't close the store that night. :) It would also be nice to see more aquarium stores around the area that offer marine creatures. I hope I am able to come to the meeting, and I'm sad that I missed the last meeting. Hope to see you all then. Is there a seperate forum within the ARC forum for Selling/Buying equipement or is it all together? Thanks Andy

·
Registered
808 Posts
welcome!

post here or in the classifieds forum. ive had better results if you are looking for something local to post here.

Brandon & Kelly

where are ya from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Brandon/Kelly,
I am from all over the place (military brat) was born in Germany, but I moved to Atlanta, from Auburn, AL where I was attending AU. Now I live just ITP where 75 and 285 meet on the north side.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Auburn Grad?

War D!amn Eagle! I graduated from Auburn in summer 2001. Ag business and economics.....I would be willing to trade frags.....

Let me know man...Football season is less than 9 days away.

Later
Clay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, its nice to see the outreach for the newbie to the area.

Clay, swapping/me buying frags off of you sounds good. :) I had a recent tradgedy with my tank. I had a bunch of Xenia and a HUGE double headed Sarccphyton. They made the move just fine and they made it fine in their container that they were relegated too during the mini cycle. Two days after I put them back into the tank, I was filling up the sump from my RO/DI, and I fell asleep with the RO/DI still running. I woke up 12 hrs later, to find the SG of my tank went from 1.024 to 1.010. My fish survived but my Poor Leather and all my Xenia but one tiny little globule of it perished. Not only did my SG go way down, but I had a TON of water in my carpet that took me days and days to get out. So I'm going to wait for my tank to resettle and let the little Xenia grow up a little bit before I put anything else into the tank. All the fish survived, but my Psuedochromis is trying to kill my Royal Gramma, so hes in a little Critter Keeper so he can recover the abuse caused by the Pseudochromis. I hope I will be able to release him back into the tank. Any suggestions on how to get them to get along, besides putting a little fishy shock collar on the Pseudochromis. :)

Ohh yeah....took me a little longer to graduate, started out in Chem E and dint' switch to my major till later. Graduated finally in Int. Bus with a Minor in German and Marketing.

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
MyReef said:
...multiple levels...we have a general ARC forum, a members only section, and a BOD forum. The members only forum are only viewable by members of ARC and the BOD forum is viewable by BOD members.
Welcome to the area AtlFishBoy1980! As a new resident of the Atlanta area myself, I have found ARC members to be VERY friendly and open. Also, for a good short list of shops to hit, check out ARC's sponsors on the homepage Andy mentioned. Several are real close to you.

Andy, where is the members only section?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Welcome and War Eagle! AU grad class of '87. We Auburn folk should wear orange and blue to meetings ;)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Int business?

Oh you must have had Dr. Alt? Intermediate Macro and Micro Economics. I know the Int Business majors had to take those classes....Man they were fun. My old boss Ms Awtry taught Economics in Lowder (sp?). I am going to Auburn next weekend for the game, a buddy got me a student ticket for free. Can't miss that one!

Keep me posted and welcome to Atlanta

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, I had Dr. Alt for International Economics, and I absolutly LOVED the man. Talk about sarcastic, but wow did I learn a lot about econ, I really loved his class, Dr. Alt may be alot of things, but he is most certainly not boring.

And I dont' know why but Ms. Awtry sounds reallllly familure, and yes Lowder is correct.

Also you need to have your Student ID with you....the Cops at the entrances to the student section check your Student ID to make sure your not an "interloper". I hope you kept it from long ago.

Ohh, I just started up a Nano reef (AGA 7gal minibow with about two inches of CaribSea Aragonite Sand). Don't laugh, but I figure I'll go Berlin method, so I got a SeaClone 100, we shall see how it does. Who has the best and cheapest live rock here in the ATL area? Any thoughts? Looks like I will probably be asking you lots of questions in the future about Nano's Andy. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
AtlFishBoy1980 said:
Ohh, I just started up a Nano reef (AGA 7gal minibow with about two inches of CaribSea Aragonite Sand). Don't laugh, but I figure I'll go Berlin method, so I got a SeaClone 100, we shall see how it does. Who has the best and cheapest live rock here in the ATL area? Any thoughts? Looks like I will probably be asking you lots of questions in the future about Nano's Andy. :)
Good deal on the Nano. We also have a Nano SIG which is a subset of the ARC. We are going to meet every other month and alternate between Sat and Sun. The next Nano SIG meeting will be Sat Sept 27 at 12:00 noon location to be determined soon.

We talk Nano's and do a field trip to the closest LFS sponsor for some cheap group purchaseing of croals/frags. If your interested please send your first and last name, valid e-mail address and TRT alias to [email protected] and I'll put you on the Nano SIG e-mail list (currently approx 18 people on the list)

Good choice on the 7 Minibow --- thats what I have --- Check out my Minibow website and Blog (links located in my signature). Also check out the Nano forum over here on TRT. And since it's a minibow I would encourage you to come over and register at http://www.minibow.com it's a small BB dedicated to just Minibow fanatics.

OK thats a long enough post --- enjoy.

Charles

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Charles,
Thanks for the info on the nano Tank meetings, thoes sound FUN. I know I will need some help with it when I start to put stuff in it. But I am very excited about it to say the least.

I have seen minibow.com, and I really like the site, actually I'm taking alot of what I'm going to be doing to my tank from YOUR tank. Such as the hood, I love the hood that you had made, I've already contacted AquaticCo about it and talked to them about doing the same thing for me as they did for you.

I now just need to get some live rock, so if you guys can recommend a LFS around here that has some nice LR (Fiji,Lalo, Marshall, etc) that would be great, I know I can go and call them and find out, but I would rather get recommendations from people who have actually been there and worked with the stores.

Also Charles, you have made me wanna do a SPS reef with the little mini bow, I think I'm going to get a 2x32W PC from CSL for it. Have one an Actinic, the other a 10,000K possibly a 6500K. I've been told SPS grow better under 6500K vs 10,000K.

I guess in a way you could say that your reef is sort of my guide.

:)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Originally I was going to do the 2 x 32w CSL but after doing a bit of reasearch I found the CSL 50/50 bulbs are not true actinic's but rather blue bulbs.

All that is why I choose the 2 x 28w from Hellolights there 28w 50/50 bulbs are a true actinic which should be better for the inhabitants.

I strongly recommend I large piece of LR for the main part of your reef with maybe a few smaller pieces to prop it up. That will make your maintenance tasks much easier.

If you want PM me I might be able to help out w/ some LR --- not entirely sure but PM me and we'll talk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts