The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place to write this I'm still figuring this site out. I just started my first reef tank this weekend and realized when I woke this morning that there were several small organisms growing on the rocks. I didn't get enough water unfortunately so I can't turn my filter on but is there any chance of them surviving? There are 3 or 4 tiny feather duster worms and 3 tiny anemones. The rocks came out of a puffer tank so I'm surprised they were there at all. Is there anything I can do until the pump can be turned on or are the poor things probably just hopeless? My tank is a 29 gallon biocube.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If the rocks came directly from another tank then they should be fine. The main source of filtration in a reef tank is the bacteria that resides in the rock - mechanical filtration isn't really needed (though water movement is). Feather dusters are my favorite hitchhiker. :) The tiny anemones may be aiptasia though, which are bad. This is a great place to ID any finds in your tank - http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm going to have to get rid of the anemones because I realized that's what they are. Any idea what the best way to kill them is? I figured nothing would be alive on the rocks because of the fish they were in the tank with, apparently the puffers didn't bother them though. There are TONS of feather dusters on one of my rocks.

·
Premium Aquatics liaison
834 Posts
There are a lot of commercially available treatments for aiptasia... A great way we used to deal with them in the shop was to buy a couple cheap peppermint shrimp, and then make a 5-gallon bucket quarantine to house them and the affected rock. After a day or two of no food, the peppermints should handle those aiptasia for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts