The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, new to us! Tonight is the night before the "Lenexa Trash Pick-up." It is the one day per year when people have no limit to the trash they throw out and can throw away things that the trash people normally don't take. This is also a time when people drive through the neighborhoods rooting through the "trash" for free stuff. Lots of people throw away perfectly good things. I am too proud to go digging through this "trash", but my wife is not. She happened to find a 55 gallon tank tonight. I had to go help her load it up :rolleyes:. We have not tested it for leaks and have no idea if it has had copper used in it, but it was free! If we set it up as a salt water tank it will probably be a lionfish tank. Otherwise I will find another use for it. Maybe I will set up a gigantic death scorpion tank, or a tarantula of doom tank (or something). She won't let me get a snake.:confused: Anyone have any good ideas for this tank?

Andrew:)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe. Just as I was posting this, someone drove by to ask if I was planning on throwing out the fish tank. We just rolled it into the garage and I was locking up my car when they saw it. I'm glad we found it first!

:)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
A 55 would make an awesome freshwater planted community tank...

It will end up being too small for a full grown Volitan Lionfish, but would be awesome for a couple dwarf's, or some scorpion fish...

Then again, you could get into keeping Orchids and keep them in it...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Have an Amazon theme in the tank with water, lizzards, lots of plants with roots, a heat lamp, etc. That would be cool!:)

·
Super Moderator
27,699 Posts
EWWWW tarantual of doom!!! Yipes, Andy!

Sounds like a great trash plan that Lenexa has. Good way to get rid of stuff and get stuff. :D

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I did that once. I was working on a garage in an alley and the neighbor was throwing out an old tank. I didn't think he was throwing out a perfectly good tank so I asked him if he was. Sure enough he said he was and gave it to me. Then he asked me if I wanted any more :) His son used to keep fish and left all the old tanks in the garage taking up space. He gave me 3 tanks, a 10, 30, and 55!

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Now orchids would be cool - if we had a spare window. :)

I've already vetoed the tarantula of doom idea. Dwarf lions I could do. He can forget about scorpions, too. I'd rather treat lionfish stings than scorpion stings.

But orchids don't sting at all... and I already have a few of them...

Danielle

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
asmith said:
I'm glad we found it first!
"we"??? :rolleyes:

What he neglected to mention, is that I found him a new fish-cleaning countertop, too. (Which means he won't have to go buy one like he was planning to.) That, and another dog crate (all the hardware was in a ziploc bag...), for when Sasha outgrows her current one. It truly amazes me what people throw out.

·
1,262 Posts
Mrs Smith said:
"we"??? :rolleyes:

What he neglected to mention, is that I found him a new fish-cleaning countertop, too. (Which means he won't have to go buy one like he was planning to.) That, and another dog crate (all the hardware was in a ziploc bag...), for when Sasha outgrows her current one. It truly amazes me what people throw out.
I thought you were the one that didn't like Dumpster Diving..... :rolleyes:

:beer: :beer:

·
Super Moderator
22,415 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:

:beer: :beer:
Nice find you two!:beer:
the guys at work gave me a motto:
"If it's free, it's for me!"
i'm always looking for a Berlin skimmer at the curb LOL
darn thang ! all it does is make dem lil bubbles :funny: :funny:

·
Super Moderator
22,415 Posts
BH ,BTW: Beautiful PICS!:beer:

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:

Huh? I'm all about free stuff! Didn't see any skimmers, though. There was an overflow/filter thingie by the tank, but we passed on that.

Buzz,
Those are gorgeous pics! Home grown? (Or did you just visit the show and take pics?) Either way, thanks!

Danielle

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mrs Smith said:

I've already vetoed the tarantula of doom idea. ... He can forget about scorpions, too. I'd rather treat lionfish stings than scorpion stings.

Danielle
:(

·
Super Moderator
22,415 Posts
Doug1 said:
Gosh Danielle, its all negotiable currency in reef world ;)
True,,,EBAY< EBAY< EBAY

·
1,262 Posts
Nope, actually those pics are from a buddy who went to a show... He posted them in a freshwater fish forum...

They are some awesome looking flowers though....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts