The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. 75gal tank filled with salt water. Nor fish or corals at this time.
2. Phosphate remover added.
3. Live sand added.
4. 2 pieces of base rock added.
5. Water tested and looks good.

Now I believe the tank should cycle. I can't afford to buy all of the live rock at one time, so can I buy a piece of two and put it in the tank?
Thanks much for replies.
:confused:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, you can add live rock gradually over time while your tank is cycling. After the cycle is over you can still add live rock but it may cause a mini cycle. I have added live rock to my established tank and it hasnt caused any problems.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

It can be done but it is gonna take a long time to be able to handle any biolode. With good circulation the bacteria that grows on the live rock is what needs to build up. And every time you add a few pieces of live rock, it is going to go through a mini cycle unless you keep the rock submerged through the transport to your tank. Also base rock takes a lot longer to become live and you will probably need to at least get 1 piece of live rock to seed the base rock. Preferably one with coraline algae. Some bacteria from the live sand will help but could also be different kinds of bacteria. Just don't get too hasty to add fish.

A lot of people with throw a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery to help start the bacteria growing. It needs a source of ammonium to start so shrimp is definately better than a live fish. Having a limited amount of live rock isn't a bad thing as long as you keep your livestock low.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
try adding some live rock than just more base rock, it wouldnt have die off or anything which might help with the change

1 - 4 of 4 Posts