The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -I have had my tank up and running about 4 weeks. I have the Kent Marine Bio Reef, around 94 litres with 10k live rock, some live sand, a few turbo snails, red foot hermit crabs and algae snails. All my levels are perfect but the last 2 days I have seen a large outbreak of tiny white "pods" covering the glass. I have read elsewhere that these are generally good for the tank but also read that I should empty and start again. Help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I have the standard pump that came with the tank which operates at 1000 LPH, a wave maker and protein skimmer along with chemical and mechanical filtration. My levels are as follows:

Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, Phosphate all 0PPM
Calcium 400 PPM
Carbon Hardness 143.2 PPM
Salinity 1.022
Temp 25 degrees

I was advised by my local fish store not to do any water changes while the tank cycles but I used cured live rock and again have read so many conflicting posts on forums just thought I'd get a general consensus.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
your tank is done cycling. you should add just 1, maybe 2 if its a pair. then do a waterchage every week, size i however much is needed to siphon out all the detritus in the system (sand included). I would start out at 10% and see if its enough to sipon the sand, and all the nooks and crannys in the rocks. I would also raise the salinity to 1.025.

·
Registered
190 Posts
+1 on the pods being no problem

I like your rock setup. It is very similar to mine. I would move your rocks away from the back wall a little in order to beable to clean behind the rocks. It is important to have good flow behind the rocks in order to have a clean tank IMHO.

I agree that your tank is probable cycled.

Take sometime and read through http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/reefkeeping-made-easy-what-was-not-explained-160389.html

What do you mean by chemical and mechanical filtration? All you need is live rock and a great protien skimmer!:beer:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By Mechanical I mean filter balls and skimmer, chemical I mean the carbon filter bags.
Should I stop the skimming until the tank is a little more heavily stocked? I will move the rocks forward in the tank a bit to help water flow.
Appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah you don't need bioballs. Your skimmer and LR/sand bed will be more than enough filtration.

Do not turn your skimmer off. Let it skim!

I only run carbon HOB filter after I water change to get some of the crap out.(couple hours) Always siphon your sand bed during WC too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts