The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done putting together a 180 gallon tank for reef setup.

I decided to build a skimmer using a sedra 9000 needle wheel and a 5 gallon water bottle. I dug out an old 55G tank keep the live rock in while I finished setting up. I am testing the skimmer now in this 55 gallon tank.

The skimmer test tank has mostly new water, due to many water changes, and about 160 lbs of live rock, bought used I think it had been previusly abused, but it is now clean and has no smell.

When I first started it it was skimming well producing lots of good skimmate. after several days it seems to have stopped making skimate. The water is crystal clear, the foam in the skimmer is pure white. There are alot of bubbles but they seem to collaps quickly once rising above the water level. In other words, bubble but no "foam".

So my question is Do I have a skimmer problem? or is the water just free of skimmable DOC's, ect...?

I am wondering if that since I have no fish and no food added, I have a bio load so low if not zero, that there is nothing to skim.

Any thoughts would be apreciated, I would like to make sure all is good before moving into the house.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
i owuld agree...you dont have much creating a load if anything ... so you shold have nothing to skim out ... if u were getting good skim then what u removed was everything you had to remove from the system .... throw in a couple fish when ready and watch it you shuold be ok tho ... i wish i could make my own skimmer...i just have never done it and dont completely understand what i am doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i owuld agree...you dont have much creating a load if anything ... so you shold have nothing to skim out ... if u were getting good skim then what u removed was everything you had to remove from the system .... throw in a couple fish when ready and watch it you shuold be ok tho ... i wish i could make my own skimmer...i just have never done it and dont completely understand what i am doing.
Thanks for the quick response, this is what I was thinking/hoping.

I have built several skimmers the last time I was doing this, There are quite easy, however they were all "tall" and unsightly. The last one was 6' tall and sat on the floor behind the tank with the top above the tank. it worked great but had bubbly crap showing all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts