The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so in a month im getting a 90 gallon tank, an upgrade from my current 40 gallon. and i need a new light, i really wanted a LED fixture because of the beautiful shimmer and the lower heat production. i was wondering what the best option i have is and if any of you guys have any fixtures you would be willing to sell/give/trade to me

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok wow... i was hoping under $200, $300 at max... see im only 17 and thats alot of money.

·
Brutal Reefer
1,015 Posts
ok wow... i was hoping under $200, $300 at max... see im only 17 and thats alot of money.
yah thats gonna be tuff even a diy led kit is gonna cost you more then that bud. a good t5ho fixture for a 90g will run u $300-550

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grrrrrrr... maybe used? or something, how hard is a DIY kit and which would you recomend

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about metal halide i hear those are pretty good

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how hard is that LED kit to assemble from my point of view...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fantastic and those will look nice on a 90 gallon which is 49 inches long

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
First ones by far. I like to compare the marineland LEDs with a t8 bulb. They are nice for color supplementing, but don't even think about growing corals with them.

Also, keep in mind that those units are not Dimmable which means no special features and capabilities like creating a soft start (0-x% over y amount of minuets), clouds, thunder storms, etc.. And you won't be able I adjust the light of corals are bleaching onl move them lower.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will just one do or will i need two i was also looking up reviews and they seem to just be like a solid blue color

·
Registered
905 Posts
Or you could go with a 2 250 watt metal halide with 4 actinics. Its a 48inch Odyssea fixture for $300. I dont know why everyone dosnt get this fixture. There not that expensive and they work great. My corals are growing very nicely. Also you dont need the lights on for 8 hours a day. i put mine on for 5 hours. corals only need 3 hours a day to get all the nutrients they need.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts