The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I am getting back into the hobby after a hiatus, and things have seriously changed over the past few years.

I just bought a SCAquariums 50 Gallon Cube Plug and Play system, and I am getting my item list together for the equipment Ill need.

Here is what I am looking at so far, are there any changes yall would make? I would appreciate any help you can give.
Tank and Sump:
PROTEIN SKIMMER: SCA-301
RATED FOR 180 GALLON
SKIMMER PUMP: ATMAN PH2000
IMPELLER: NEEDLE
RETURN PUMP: ATMAN PH3000 500 GPH

Lights:
LOOP Orbit R24 Reef Light w/ eFlux Pumps Bundle - 2xLED - Current USA

4 Gallon ATO Reservoir

200W Ultra Heater - AQUAEL

Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED - Innovative Marine

BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual with Sicce Syncra 1.5 Pump

Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 300 - Two Little Fishies

Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off - Tunze

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,551 Posts
Welcome back into the hobby. You list looks good. Not sure on the lights and that they are capable of as far as corals.
when it comes to GFO I recommend nit using it at the start and monitor your conditions first. Same with the kalk reactor. You can add them later once your cycle is complete and when you need them.
What type of corals do you plan on keeping? And what method of cycling you going to use? Old school by dropping a crest shrimp and letting the tank do it’s thing , or bottled bacteria . Dry or live rock?
We also love to see photos of the build.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome back into the hobby. You list looks good. Not sure on the lights and that they are capable of as far as corals.
when it comes to GFO I recommend nit using it at the start and monitor your conditions first. Same with the kalk reactor. You can add them later once your cycle is complete and when you need them.
What type of corals do you plan on keeping? And what method of cycling you going to use? Old school by dropping a crest shrimp and letting the tank do it’s thing , or bottled bacteria . Dry or live rock?
We also love to see photos of the build.
I dont plan on adding the reactors until i have enough of a coral load to need em. I usually use ammonia and let it cycle that way. I am using live rock this time. It will be my first time using live rock. I have always started fresh with dry and cured rock. Im excited to see all the little hitch hikers than come in one it. To me, they are just as interesting as the fish and coral. I keep mainly softies and LPS, but I do want to have some SPS higher up in the water column.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,551 Posts
Live rock is nice, I alway use live rock, it’s cycled the tank really nice and I would think with good live rock, depending on where it comes from you would need to add ammonia, also depending on how it shipped will determine the amount of die off it will create enough ammonia to complete the cycle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live rock is nice, I alway use live rock, it’s cycled the tank really nice and I would think with good live rock, depending on where it comes from you would need to add ammonia, also depending on how it shipped will determine the amount of die off it will create enough ammonia to complete the cycle.
Thats a really good point! I am planning on getting my rock here:

I have the chance to dive on some of the near shore rock farms in the gulf, and they are pretty neat operations to see.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Gulf live rock is nice. I used it, lots of life. You could ask them if you can get a rock with a Caribbean rose coral. You can’t get Caribbean hard corals except from mariculturers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts