The Reef Tank banner
759 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dobbs 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new and thought I could find some help on this forum. I just got a 125g all glass reef ready and have it going with my canister filters from my old tank. I am thinking of using my old 55g tank or my 39g as a sump/refragrium. I already have 2 megaflow accessory kit's. What size pumps do I need? I would assume I need two since I have two returns.Also anyone know a good place in Minnesota for base rock. I'm also looking for sand. Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome!! Why 2 pumps why not one big one with a tee (just a thought) as for the ref. that is a contirvrsial subject hear I am going to try one but there are some folks that don't care for them. I live in FLA can't help with the base rock.

#3 ·
welcome to TRT. hirocks.com has pretty chaep base rock. you may have to wait a bit, they only have real small pieces left. bigger stuff should be in soon. as for the two returns, you can put a "tee" in the line to split it from one pump. as for getting good advice, you came to the right place. i'm kinda new to this too, but i've learnt so much from the people here. good luck. another place for BR, aquariumguys.com or pet solutions.com. i little more cause of shipping but still not bad

#5 ·
Yes welcome!!!
The best thing you can do right now before you spend any more money, is to find out what you want to keep in the tank. What type of coral if its going to be a reef or what fish if thats all you want. Then, once youve decided, find out what it will take to make a system designed around that type of coral and build to suite. This will save you money on stuff you dont need, frustration from killing something that isnt suited to your tank and just a whole lot of wasted time and animals.
Be ready for alot of patience as it is the key to this whole game! Research and patience!
Dont buy anything without asking here. People will speak from experience.read everything you can find, ask questions about everything and find tanks you like the look of and find out what the owner has done to get the tank that way. take your time!

Robert

#11 ·
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

you will not need the cannister filter on a reef tank. more problems than they solve. all you need is LR/base rock and a really big skimmer. that is all. no bio-balls, cannisters, HOB filters nadda.

as for sand, some of us prefer no sand at all. :D

G~

#12 ·
Thanks

Thanks. I'm just thinking of soft corals for know until I can afford some MH lighting. Right know I'm just using my coralife that I had on my 55g. I already noticed my polyps and a few other hitchhikers move closer to the light. I only have about 40 ponds of live rock right know. Is my old 39G tank big enough for a sump? How big of a pump do I need? I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to make them smaller

Fish so far

2 purcula clowns

1 vacuum blenny (my favorite)

1 blue damsel with yellow tail

2 black and white damsel's

1 cleaner shrimp

aslo have about 12 hermit crabs and about 10 snails

#13 ·
I'm not sure where you are in MN. A World of Fish and Something Fishy are the best places in the metro area. They are within a few blocks of each other. I drive 40+ miles (one way) to get to them...passing many others on the way. They are both very helpful.

Here is a link to AWOF...
http://www.worldoffish.com/main.html

I couldnt find one for something fishy.

DAve

#14 ·
New tank

I purchased my lighting and premixed salt water from something fishy. I live In Tracy It's about 3.5 hours from the twin cities. I did find a store in Sioux falls called mini critters that seemed to be very helpful. I bought my tank there two weeks ago. They told me not to buy bagged live sand or any other substrate unless it's real live sand. they sell It for $4 a pound. Which about 40 pounds should get me started. But my funds and my wifes Patience are limited.

#15 ·
Timmy77 said:
I purchased my lighting and premixed salt water from something fishy. I live In Tracy It's about 3.5 hours from the twin cities. I did find a store in Sioux falls called mini critters that seemed to be very helpful. I bought my tank there two weeks ago. They told me not to buy bagged live sand or any other substrate unless it's real live sand. they sell It for $4 a pound. Which about 40 pounds should get me started. But my funds and my wifes Patience are limited.
Here is what I used. You can have it shipped to your door for half of what they want for LS. I used 60lbs in my 75.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CS0790

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.